On Oct 31, 2013 2:11 AM, "Steve Zhang" <[email protected]> wrote: > > I have to say, I'm amazed such a long discussion has occured over a > question about the time for an office hours sessions.
I'm amazed nobody has brought up leap seconds yet, which make 23:59:59 roll over to 23:59:60 and would steal not one but two whole seconds in Tims example. > > *Steven Zhang* > *[email protected]* > > > On 31 October 2013 09:42, Tim Starling <[email protected]> wrote: > > > On 31/10/13 02:51, Newyorkbrad wrote: > > > In an arbitration committee election a couple of years ago, I definitely > > > recall confusion about whether a deadline of 0000 on a given date meant > > > that the deadline expired as of the beginning of that date or the end of > > > that date. > > > > Voting periods in SecurePoll are actually half-open intervals [S, E), > > i.e. "starting at exactly time S, proceeding up to but not including > > time E". So "E = 2013-11-03 00:00:00" is actually the correct way to > > express a voting interval that includes the whole of 2013-11-02 and > > nothing after that. However, I have been browbeaten into using > > 23:59:59 in more recent elections, thus stealing a whole second of > > potential voting time from our poor voters. > > > > -- Tim Starling > > > > > > _______________________________________________ > > Wikimedia-l mailing list > > [email protected] > > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, > > <mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe> > > > _______________________________________________ > Wikimedia-l mailing list > [email protected] > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe> _______________________________________________ Wikimedia-l mailing list [email protected] Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe>
