On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Anthony <[email protected]> wrote: > On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Todd Allen <[email protected]> wrote: >> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Anthony <[email protected]> wrote: >>> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Todd Allen <[email protected]> wrote: >>>> {{sofixit}}, just like any area with NPOV/undue weight issues. >>> >>> "The next day someone will fix it back." - Douglas Hofstadter >> >> Such is the nature of this project. If no one ever did anything >> because of that possibility, no one would ever do anything at all. > > Well, it's not just that it's possible, it's that I judge the > probability to be very high.
Then, if your proposed change is opposed by a significant number of people, it would tend to indicate it has not gained consensus. That, too, is the nature of the beast, when working on a project like this. I think we've all had an idea we strongly believe to be right fail to gain the consensus that would be needed to implement it. >> Rather, many of us believe that it >> would be irresponsible to implement censorship on an uncensored, >> comprehensive educational project. >> >>>> I have no >>>> problem with developing best practices, and certainly I don't think >>>> anyone will argue that we should host or retain porn or near-porn >>>> involving kids >>> >>> Certainly some people will argue this. I believe that, fortunately, >>> most of them are banned, though. >> >> Uh...wow. One would hope so. I don't believe that's very common, >> though. Certainly no one I've heard arguing against censorship is in >> favor of that. > > But a policy against porn or near-porn involving kids *is* censorship, > is it not? > I suppose in the most technical sense it is, but that's a question of very settled and tested law, unlike 2257. That's more like forbidding copyvios--copyright law, while complex, is fairly stable and well tested. In a very technical sense, forbidding penis vandalism is censorship, but I think most of us know the difference. Putting a picture of a penis on the article about a political candidate or sports team is unacceptable, putting a picture of a penis on the "Penis" article is much more likely to be done in good faith. > _______________________________________________ > Wikimedia-l mailing list > [email protected] > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l -- Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows. _______________________________________________ Wikimedia-l mailing list [email protected] Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
