On 13 June 2012 21:30, David Gerard <[email protected]> wrote: > I was looking over old discussions, and wondered: who originally came > up with the notion that the "principle of least surprise" should apply > to educational content? If it existed before Wikimedia, who introduced > it to the image filter discussion, on what rationale? >
It (principle of least astonishment) derives from our redirect guidelines where you are trying to decide between redirecting to an article and redirecting to a disambiguation page. It also somewhat related to page naming. >[Personally I think it's an inanity - an education that doesn't turn >your head upside down might as well be basket weaving - and it's too >easily applied to shocking and outrageous concepts that children >shouldn't be exposed to, like homosexuality or rights for minorities - >but I could of course be convinced I'm wrong.] I think you miss the point of a concept. The idea is not that say [[Marriage]] shouldn't contain information about homosexual marriages, heterosexual marriages, marriages of convenience or polygamous marriages but that it probably shouldn't contain photos of marriage consummation. [[Nude photography]] on the other hand should have some nudity. but then it should also be more than 3 paragraphs long. -- geni _______________________________________________ Wikimedia-l mailing list [email protected] Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
