I thought this was an interesting viewpoint expressed by B.J. Hiley, David
Bohms longtime collaborator, on the nature of theoreticians and their
relationship to experimental science. As he puts it:

*I didn’t mind doing it because I think it’s very important if you’re doing
theoretical physics to get a feel of what it’s like in a laboratory, making
things work. I’ve heard some theoreticians talking and it’s quite clear
they don’t even know what a laboratory is. They’ve never been in a
laboratory and they’ve never tried to get even simple bits of apparatus
working. They just have ideas of what the measurement is—and it’s nothing
like that. It’s much too idealized.*

I feel this captures perfectly the character of the controversies
surrounding Pons and Fleischman in 1989. Most of the critics of their work
were theoreticians who, beyond knowing what constituted good neutron
detection, didn't know a thing about what constituted good lab work in
chemistry generally and calorimetry specifically. As a result the majority
of people threw the baby (excess heat) out with the bathwater (nuclear
products). They were silly enough to proclaim that P and F were "working
outside their area of expertise" when in fact its likely not a single
critic from the physics community would have even know how to set up an
electrolytic cell, let alone how to upkeep and monitor one over an extended
test period.

The rest of the article can be found here for those that are interested:
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/critical-opalescence/2013/11/04/the-wholeness-of-quantum-reality-an-interview-with-physicist-basil-hiley/

Reply via email to