At 03:13 PM 12/12/2012, Jed Rothwell wrote:
This is a popular song published by Metro Trains of Melbourne, Australia:

<http://dumbwaystodie.com/>http://dumbwaystodie.com/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2012/nov/28/dumb-ways-to-die-video

There have been some notably dangerous cold fusion experiments. Abd's whacking at beryllium comes to mind.

Well, I didn't "whack" at beryllium. I considered it, very briefly, and very quickly rejected the idea. However, there is more to the story.

I bought a piece of beryllium from a seller on eBay who said it was "a solid chunk bar" from a "BIG Name Scientific Company."

$37 for 5.85 grams. Turns out that someone is selling pieces of foil, for $10 initial bid for about a cm^2, that might have been fine for me. After all, the alphas can't penetrate more than a very thin layer of Beryllium. But, grasshopper here had jumped for the piece. I'll be able to resell it when I'm done, I'd think.

When it arrived, after handling it a bit, I noticed what appeared to be some "grime" on two edges. Some rubbed off on my finger. After washing my finger, I rubbed some off onto a piece of tissue paper, and looked at it under a microscope. Fine particles, looks like metal powder.

So I wrote the seller. He said that the grime was probably burnt oil from cutting. Ah. It was cut! After a bit of back and forth where he was a tad defensive, i.e., if you are worried, just send it back, he finally explained to me that the material had been cut by a friend, who had a vacuum hood cutting system keeping the material wet with oil. That might be beryllium-safe, if proper displosal is followed. However, by now I knew, with high likelilood, that this could be beryllium dust clinging to this piece. (It could also be contaminant metals from other cutting operations.)

He had obviously purchased bar stock beryllium, and was cutting it down into pieces. Not a bad idea, especially given that he had his friend cut it. I was, after all, thinking of using a hacksaw (I did know that beryllium was toxic, but, hey, I'd be careful! Well, I read a lot more....)

Supposedly, he had cleaned the oil off the pieces with solvent. But that might leave dust, which, after all, would not dissolve in the solvent, he'd have to rub it off mechanically. Or clean it off thoroughly with clean oil and then use solvent.

It's a tiny quantity. If someone was handling something like this every day, yeah, this could be worrisome.

However, people should know what they are getting. As I advised him, he added a warning about beryllium hazards to his listing, he is selling more pieces. It advises people that beryllium can be dangerous and to research beryllium. I hope he is more careful to clean the pieces before shipping them.

So what do I do with the bit of tissue I have with a tiny amount of what may well be beryllium dust on it? And how do I clean the piece of metal, so that it is safe to handle? The risk of inhaling a toxic level of beryllium from this small amount of dust is quite low. I tried to find minimum total amounts of beryllium to be exempt from hazardous waste regulations. No luck so far.

The particles are under ten microns, I think. Beryllium is 1.85 g/cm^3. A particle may then weigh roughly 2 x 10^-12 g per cubic micron, or under 2 nanograms for the 1000 cubic micron particle size. I might have a thousand such particles, so I come up with a total guesstimate of 2 micrograms. I'd never be able to weigh this. (My best scale has 10 mg resolution.)

In the U.S. the peak exposure limit is 25 micrograms/m^3. All of that dust would have to become airborne and yet be concentrated in a small volume to be a serious problem. Skin or oral exposure aren't nearly so dangerous. Acute berylliosis, though, is not the seriously dangerous disease, it would be the chronic form, which requires, generally, extended exposure (to smaller amounts) for long periods, as with employment processing beryllium. Russia has very tight standards for routine beryllium exposure, it's 10 nanograms/m^3. However, the U.S. standards for *drinking water* are 200 nanograms per liter.

As to emissions in air, the U.S. standard is a maximum amount of 2 g/hr or 10 g/day. If I had some industrial operation going on here, I could be pumping out the amount of beryllium dust I've got over 100 times per second, as long as the air concentration did not rise above the g/volume limit.

If I wash this down the drain, it will be dispersed and remain dispersed, to way, way below hazardous levels. Until the waste water is processed, it would not be able to become airborn in any quantity. The drinking water standard would allow 2 micrograms to exist in 10 liters of water. I would be at that level if I'm merely running the faucet as I wash the piece, and it would continue to disperse further. That procedure, washing it off, is less likely to create airborne dust, and it looks like the waste water will remain safe. So I'll probably do that. And then I'll have a nice clean piece of beryllium to whack with some alpha particles.

(I might have been looking at obsolete standards. But there are so many fudge factors in my analysis that I'm still not concerned.)

Next someone is going to get hysterial about generating neutrons in my apartment. I wish I'd get enough to actually worry about (in which case I'd control the effect to keep the levels very safe). But I won't, the levels of alpha radiation from my Am-241 source are way too low. I'll be lucky if I can detect them above background.

Stan Gleeson and his partner died young. McKubre described their experiment as "hair raising" they were so hazardous. Gleeson thought they were reducing radioactivity but McKubre thinks they were vaporizing radioactive material and breathing in the particles.

Could be.

Mizuno was afraid to go into the room where Ohmori conducted his experiments. Mizuno's own high temperature experiments seemed dangerous to some experts I consulted with, who said that his stainless steel cells were probably embrittled with hydrogen, and close to the breaking point.

Rossi's devices look dangerous to me. They are scaled up 2 to 5 orders of magnitude larger than they need to be for any rational business purpose.

I do not understand why people take unnecessary risks.

Well, it might be foolish sometimes, sometimes there is an issue about "necessary." What's that? Is it "necessary* for me to generate a few neutrons. No, but it's way cool, I happen to think. People even jump out of airplanes because they think it's cool. My kids did. Life is risky.

Rossi's devices, if they work, were being operated sometimes under conditions that seemed quite dangerous. However, the large "devices," i.e., the megawatt reactor, are merely highly multiplied small devices, which is a relatively safe approach. I'd worry about the Hot Cat!

People handled beryllium for many years, with practically no precautions. Because we don't get sick immediately, unless it's a lot of beryllium and we are something like 2-5% of the population that is particularly sensitive, it simply doesn't present an appearance of danger. (And it takes some substantial exposure to develop acute berylliosis.) The eBay seller handled these pieces and didn't seem to be aware of how dangerous Beryllium can be, and yet he might be just fine, as long as he doesn't do this day in and day out for years. It is not *perceived* as a high danger, I pretty much had to force myself to take this seriously.

If I'd concluded that this was a serious disposal problem, I'd have had some difficult choices to make. I still have some *legal* risk with what I've written. Supposedly one does not dispose of beryllium in a waste water system without the permission of the treating agency. However, this is de minimus. Essentially, I'm deciding that the amount is so low that it's not worth their time to consider the matter. Beryllium is in lots of things, and ambient air may have up to 0.2 picograms/m^3 of beryllium. Beryllium normal concentration in soil is stated in one source at 6 ppm. So my 2 micrograms of Beryllium, to put this into perspective, would match that in a third of a gram of dirt. I'm getting less and less worried. We don't treat a muddy pair of pants as hazardous waste, we toss it in the washing machine....

(Beryllium-contaminated clothing is not supposed to be laundered, that's in the standards. However, they are contemplating far higher levels of contamination. On the other hand, there are procedures for disposing of broken beryllium windows at the Advanced Photon Source that end up being very conservative. http://centraldocs.aps.anl.gov/policy_procedures/user/docs/APS_1191124.pdf. However, they have the resources in place to do this. It is not necessarily "insanely" conservative. Routine environmental beryllium is suspected of being a *routine carcinogen.* So the goal is to reduce exposure as much as possible. At some point, though, there is a diminishing return, where the exposure is below routine environmental exposure. They actually say that no dangerous Beryllium has been detected from broken beryllium windows, from actual sampling, but ... they proceed to treat it as quite dangerous. They justify this because a broken window is not considered a "finished article," which isn't considered hazardous. Yeah, technically. What I notice with my piece of cut beryllium is that the edges are a bit fractured. This stuff, when it breaks, can break roughly, it appears. So ... maybe ... sometimes.)

Reply via email to