In a phone call with Adams in February, she was setting me up to break the
story then and there. She was suggesting that the story was going to break
big and implying to me that she was helping me to be the first to break it
by giving me favored treatment. You'll recall that, in fact, the story did
not break then, nor did anybody report on it then.
Had the story broken when she either thought it was going to break or
wanted it to break, it would have broken long before RT had a chance to a)
respond to the *proposed* debarment and b) appeal it after it was executed.
(he was denied appeal.) Consider that with regard to Adams' initiative to
get the story out prematurely.
Then she also encouraged me to do a FOIA request to get all the details. I
had some doubts about if it was worth doing that. I had asked her why I
should go through the trouble of making a FOIA request.
Here's a few other excerpts from my Feb 12 phone call with her, before I
knew the Navy had proposed debarment.
*****************
SK: Is this going to be worth my time?
HA: [Laughs] I think so. You will know if it's worth your time after Dr.
Taleyarkhan gets the letter.
HA: All the others are calling our public affairs. There will be flurries
of phone calls and there will be questions. I can guarantee it. And I would
not be surprised if Purdue does some kind of a press release and maybe they
are preparing it now because they are receiving a letter as well.
SK: I don't know, I'm almost at my burn out point on this story....
HA: It's worth it.
SK: Okay
HA: This is part of the history. If I was to write a history book, this
would be probably, an epilogue.
*****************
Presumably she thought/hoped her recommendation to debar would end the
matter...
After I spoke with her on Feb. 17 - for about two hours and explained some
facts to her - she reiterated in her own words, her understanding that RT
had been framed. At that point, she could have called the dogs off. But she
didn't. Why not? I don't know. Perhaps she lacked integrity, courage, the
freedom to do so, or some combination.
-sk