On Jul 3, 2009, at 8:06 PM, [email protected] wrote:


...but wouldn't that gradient need to exist between the particle and the
nucleus?

I wrote: "Any hydrogen in a fully loaded lattice is surrounded by atoms in all quadrants. Further, even as charged particles, hydrogen can readily tunnel the distances between lattice sites, this at thermal potential energies of only mV involved. The lattice atoms are even closer, but from a tunneling perspective, only to a neutral particle, because the Coulomb barrier and the small size of the nearby nuclei make the ordinary probability of transmutation events small. This barrier is dropped with respect to deflated hydrogen, and enhanced by a magnetic field gradient."

I should have also noted that both the lattice atoms and the nearby hydrogen atoms are essentially electrostatically confined. The magnetic gradient has primary effect on nucleus tunneling when a hydrogen atom deflates and the nucleus becomes electrostatically neutral, while the target atom remains confined to its location, essentially unaffected by the magnetic gradient, even if it has a substantial magnetic moment.

I also wrote: "I expect the gradient within the cathode can be made over 100 times that 0.2 T/cm^2, using even permanent magnets, in experiments designed to meet that objective."

That should be: "I expect the gradient within the cathode can be made over 100 times that 0.02 T/cm^2, using even permanent magnets, in experiments designed to meet that objective."

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/




Reply via email to