Jones Beene wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----
>
>   
>> From: Mauro Lacy 
>>     
>
>   
>> Only velocity exists, physically. From then on, time is derived as t=v/s. 
>> That is, in physics time is no more than a mathematical construct.  I meant: 
>> t=s/v
>>     
>
>
> Which comes first - the chicken or the egg?
>   
The problem of "which comes first" is even more difficult in the
particular case of discussions about time, because the very notion of
"first" involves the notion of time, i.e. it involves a temporal sequence.
> Why not say that only time and space exist, physically, and that velocity is 
> derived therefrom ?
>   
(In the following paragraph, when I say "exists", I mean "has intrinsic
physical reality".)
Simply because time does not exist, as a physical process. Let's suppose
that space exists(this is debatable also, but I wouldn't go into that
for the moment), and in that existing space nothing is moving at all,
all is completely static. Does it have sense then to talk about time?
So, time is a result or a consequence of movement; that is, of velocity.
When I say velocity, I'm talking about rate of movement. By example,
movement of discrete matter in empty space, which, as you can see, is
something that has intrinsic physical reality. Imagine a discrete piece
of matter moving through empty space. That discrete piece of matter
physically does not need anything like time to move, it is enough for it
to have movement(velocity) and empty space in which to move. Physically,
time comes later, if you excuse the pun.

> After all, there are ways to measure time independently of velocity, but no 
> way to measure velocity independently of time.
>   
Velocity does not need to be measured to exist. I'm talking about the
intrinsic physical existence of movement, not about measurements. And
what you say  is anyways probably not true: you can measure velocity
comparing it to other velocities, by example. Like in "those two
velocities are equal", or "that velocity is 2 times that other velocity".

Reply via email to