Hi Robin, Can you supply a link? The only thing I can find with ion thrusters is that the magnetic field is used to prevent the ions from striking the side walls. I didn't find anything that suggests that a magnetic field can turn high energy ion trajectories from an omnidirectional source into unidirectional thrust. Magnetic fields only make the ion path curl.
BH On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 6:32 PM, <[email protected]> wrote: > In reply to Bob Higgins's message of Fri, 1 Dec 2017 16:48:01 -0700: > Hi, > [snip] > >I cannot comprehend a magnetic field configuration that would > unidirectionally focus an omnidirectional emission of alpha particles. If > you had such a thing it would be useful for making radioisotope alpha > emitter batteries. > > It's a funnel shaped magnetic field. Look up the latest advances in ion > propulsion. > Regards, > > > Robin van Spaandonk > > local asymmetry = temporary success > >

