In reply to  <[email protected]>'s message of Thu, 26 Jan 2017 19:07:40
-0800:
Hi Bob,

Regular reactors use Uranium enriched to some extent, except CANDU AFAIK.
Without the enrichment they don't achieve criticality.
Reactors usually run "on a knife edge", IOW they produce and consume neutrons at
the same rate. However an average fission reaction requires 1 neutron, but
produces about 2. That means that in order to run normally the excess neutron
needs to be trapped/redirected. Some go into converting U238 eventually into
Pu239 which is also fissile, and some of that gets burned up too. Some are fast
enough to directly fission U238, but only a small percentage, and not enough to
keep the reaction going.
Others get absorbed by fission daughter products, but I would guess that most
are absorbed by the control rods. That means that if the control rods
malfunction in some way, then it's possible for the production/consumption ratio
(k) to exceed one. I'm guessing that that is the sort of accident you are
referring to.

>Criticality based on fast neutrons in regular fission reactors is a bad 
>accident, and  it has happened many times—killing workers in some cases.  
>
>I would guess that any fission reaction could release fast neutrons.  However, 
>I may be wrong and would like to review the data on fission cross sections for 
>the actinides we are talking about.  A reference would be desirable.
>
>Bob Cook
>
>Sent from Mail for Windows 10
[snip]
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/project.html

Reply via email to