On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 3:40 PM, Frank Znidarsic <[email protected]> wrote:

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/04/10/us-military-christens-self-driving-sea-hunter-warship/21340920/


Unrelated to the point about automation, the strange looking boat reminded
me of a recent trip I took into Oklahoma, right next to me.  I was driving
there a week or so ago and drove past a US military convoy on their way to
somewhere, probably an army base.  The trucks (as we call them) looked a
bit like this:

http://allnewspipeline.com/images/277.png

It occurred to me that these vehicles are probably bespoke, and require
specialized knowledge to fix and maintain and require specialized parts.  I
wonder how much money military contractors spend on setting up a parallel
line of vehicles that are not mass produced at the same levels as those
available to consumers, and how much this duplication of effort costs.
This would apply not only to vehicles for transport such as this, but to
smaller things like drones.  It seems to me that contractors should be
instructed to make as much use of commercially available products as
possible to get the job done within strategic limits (i.e., not becoming
dependent upon goods produced in a potentially hostile country).

Eric

Reply via email to