I was cleaning out my old mail which I planned to respond to and forgot about. 

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: [email protected]
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone

On 08/04/2013, at 6:27, "Raul A. Gallegos" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi there. I am curious as to where the reply for the message came from seeing 
> is how this thread is over a month old. Just thought I would point that out.
> 
> ---
> Sent from Raul's iPhone - (832) 554-7285. Please excuse any dictation or auto 
> complete errors.
> 
> On Apr 7, 2013, at 3:27 AM, David Chittenden <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> Hello,
>> 
>> There is only one GPS antenna in the iPhone. It is either active and 
>> draining the battery, or it is not active, and therefore not drawing power. 
>> No matter how many GPS apps are running, the GPS antenna will draw the same 
>> amount of power. That said, more GPS (or other apps for that matter) running 
>> means more cycles of the processor and more power drain above that of the 
>> GPS antenna. Furthermore, GPS apps running guided GPS navigation 
>> (turn-by-turn) in the background drain more power than when they are the 
>> primary open app.
>> 
>> A friend set up widgets on his Android phone and found that the widgets 
>> drained the phone's battery quite rapidly, and caused major slowdown/lag on 
>> his android phone.
>> 
>> He acquired an iPhone 5 a few weeks ago and jailbroke the iPhone. He then 
>> installed the same widgets he was running on his Android phone. Today, he 
>> told me the results. He experienced the same extreme battery drain and 
>> lag/slowdown on the iPhone 5 that he experienced on the Android phone. It 
>> should be noted that this friend is sighted. He considers himself to be a 
>> power-user of mobile technology. He also told me that Apple apparently knows 
>> what it is doing in not allowing widgets on standard iPhones.
>> 
>> David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
>> Email: [email protected]
>> Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> 
>> On 03/03/2013, at 15:22, "Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D." 
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>>> David,
>>> 
>>> This sounds cool.
>>> 
>>> Can you give us a primer on how you use all these apps in an integrated 
>>> way? Is it as simple as just opening them all and it somehow magically 
>>> happens?
>>> 
>>> Does all these apps working simultaneously, and presumably needing their 
>>> own gps data, pose a significant battery drain that perhaps one integrated 
>>> app would diminish?
>>> 
>>> Thanks. Keith
>>> 
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf 
>>> Of David Chittenden
>>> Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2013 5:24 PM
>>> To: [email protected]
>>> Subject: Re: Summary of Seeing Eye app presentation at CSUN
>>> 
>>> Which is why I have everything covered that the Seeing Eye app will be 
>>> providing in a few apps. TomTom and Apple Maps gives me just about 
>>> everything I need including names of streets I am passing, turn by turn 
>>> directions, automatic routing and rerouting, with onboard maps (TomTom) or 
>>> online maps (Apple Maps). Both apps even can give my current address (which 
>>> is now automatically announced in Apple Maps (when set to Tracking On with 
>>> Headings). I have stopped using Ariadne, for the most part, because Apple 
>>> Maps finally does it all, including giving me an accessible onscreen map 
>>> (Tracking On (without headings).
>>> 
>>> And, even better, Local Scope accesses automatically several internet POI 
>>> listings and consolidates them for me. It is the only POI system that 
>>> accesses all my local bus stop locations. Even better, VO accesses Local 
>>> Scopes map view, if turned on, the same way and to the same degree, that it 
>>> accesses Apple Maps graphical maps.
>>> 
>>> The best thing, my total, one-time charge   (given that TomTom and Navigon 
>>> are both more expensive here in NZ) is $70 to $80. I do not remember what, 
>>> if anything, I paid for Local Scope. Where To, the other POI app I like 
>>> cost me $1.99, and provides many more POIs than I got from Look Around when 
>>> I was visiting the US. Finally, all the apps I use work perfectly well in 
>>> NZ.
>>> 
>>> It must be noted that Navigon and TomTom must be purchased separately for 
>>> each country or region.
>>> 
>>> My point here is I am paying significantly less for equivalent service. I 
>>> am not getting clock-face directions, but with practice, I have something 
>>> better, an audio graphical map view interface which shows me the 
>>> information via haptics (touch) and audio.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
>>> Email: [email protected]
>>> Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>> 
>>> On 03/03/2013, at 11:47, Keith Watson <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>>> John,
>>>> 
>>>> Exactly. You bought a device, it had maps on it. You can now choose to 
>>>> upgrade or not to upgrade those maps on the device when they become 
>>>> available. If you do not choose to upgrade the device will continue to 
>>>> work the way it was sold to you.
>>>> 
>>>> Now I buy a device, lets call it an iPhone. I then purchase an app called 
>>>> Seeing Eye from a company called Sendero. I pay $100 for the app. time 
>>>> goes by. Lets say for the sake of argument that its 3 years later. In the 
>>>> interim I have lost my job, the stock market has crashed and the bank has 
>>>> taken my house back. I have a job interview and want to use this app to 
>>>> find my way to it. I turn it on and low and behold they want another $100 
>>>> in order for me to use it. In other words I have rented the app for 3 
>>>> years and now its useless to me. To my small mind this is not good 
>>>> business. I would go so far as to call it extortion. If I am going to pay 
>>>> that high a price for something I damned well want to own it.
>>>> 
>>>> I do not know what Garmon is going to do with map updates. Whether they 
>>>> are going to be free or not is besides the point. I bought Navigon. It 
>>>> will work the way it is until I get rid of the device, IOS changes so 
>>>> drasticallyy that it no longer is supported or something else better comes 
>>>> along to replace it. The choice is mine, not theirs.
>>>> 
>>>> Again, these are my opinions and my thoughts. I by no means condemn those 
>>>> of you who have the money to waste on this type of business plan. I guess 
>>>> I am just a bit more frugal than most.
>>>> 
>>>> Keith
>>>> 
>>>> On Mar 2, 2013, at 2:21 PM, john gallagher <[email protected]> 
>>>> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>>> hi there keith interesting but say on my sendero on the apex because the 
>>>>> maps are actually on the machine even though they will not get updated 
>>>>> they will still work and yes cost is important for blind people as we 
>>>>> have to pay much more for our devices and of course the software.  am i 
>>>>> correct in saying that with navigon there updates are free.
>>>>> 
>>>>> -- 
>>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the "VIPhone" 
>>>>> Google Group.
>>>>> To search the VIPhone public archive, visit 
>>>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/.
>>>>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
>>>>> [email protected].
>>>>> For more options, visit this group at 
>>>>> http://groups.google.com/group/viphone?hl=en.
>>>>> --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
>>>>> Groups "VIPhone" group.
>>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
>>>>> email to [email protected].
>>>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>>>> 
>>>> -- 
>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the "VIPhone" 
>>>> Google Group.
>>>> To search the VIPhone public archive, visit 
>>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/.
>>>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
>>>> [email protected].
>>>> For more options, visit this group at 
>>>> http://groups.google.com/group/viphone?hl=en.
>>>> --- 
>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>>>> "VIPhone" group.
>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
>>>> email to [email protected].
>>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>>> 
>>> -- 
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the "VIPhone" 
>>> Google Group.
>>> To search the VIPhone public archive, visit 
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/.
>>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
>>> [email protected].
>>> For more options, visit this group at 
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/viphone?hl=en.
>>> --- 
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>>> "VIPhone" group.
>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
>>> email to [email protected].
>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> -- 
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the "VIPhone" 
>>> Google Group.
>>> To search the VIPhone public archive, visit 
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/.
>>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
>>> [email protected].
>>> For more options, visit this group at 
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/viphone?hl=en.
>>> --- 
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>>> "VIPhone" group.
>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
>>> email to [email protected].
>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>> 
>> -- 
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the "VIPhone" Google 
>> Group.
>> To search the VIPhone public archive, visit 
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/.
>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
>> [email protected].
>> For more options, visit this group at 
>> http://groups.google.com/group/viphone?hl=en.
>> --- 
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>> "VIPhone" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
>> email to [email protected].
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>> 
>> 
> 
> -- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the "VIPhone" Google 
> Group.
> To search the VIPhone public archive, visit 
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> [email protected].
> For more options, visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/viphone?hl=en.
> --- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "VIPhone" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to [email protected].
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
> 
> 

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "VIPhone" Google 
Group.
To search the VIPhone public archive, visit 
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/viphone?hl=en.
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"VIPhone" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to