We use the iGrill and it has connections for four probes.  We use this for 
smoking and grilling several pieces of meat at a time.  We have an ambient 
probe plugged in to it as well as 3 regular probes and it works wonderfully 
with Voice Over.  I have thought about buying the mini for when I am just in 
need of one, but it works great there as well.


Kay Malmquist
[email protected]

Our tongue can accuse,
and carry bad news.
The seeds of distrust it will sow.
But unless you've made,
No mistakes in your life,
Be careful of stones that you throw.

Big Tom
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Richard Turner
  To: [email protected]
  Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2023 7:24 PM
  Subject: Re: Talking cooking thermometers


  The iGrill Mini by Weber is a leave-in meat probe that works with their 
ap. So the brains are bluetooth, but it has a very long wire to the brains, 
and you pair it with your iPhone. I've used it for a few years now and love. 
They do have models with more probes, but we never cook more than one thing 
at a time that needs temperature monitoring. It is available through Amazon.

  E Richard, USA.
  “What we think or what we know or what we believe is in the end of little 
consequence. The only thing of consequence is what we do” ~ John Ruskin
  My web site: https://www.turner42.com




    On Aug 1, 2023, at 5:14 PM, Cristóbal Muñoz <[email protected]> 
wrote:


    
    I have as well the Kizen talking thermometer. It does read the 
temperature faster than the ThermowWorks RT8400, but the RT8400 does have 
that hands free feature which is super helpful and the RT8400’s probe is 
roughly one quarter of an inch longer than the Kizen. I did reach out to 
ThermoWorks asking about the BlueDot and whether the RT8400 could be bought, 
but with a longer or different probe. This is what I got back:

    “Hello Cristóbal,
    There is a possibility that your smartphone has features to assist you. 
Your smart device, phone, or pad could access our program data if it has 
sight-impaired access features, and the phone read the areas of the program 
set up in the phone software settings.  I have talked to customers who are 
sight impaired and do this.  It has been a while, and the process wasn't 
perfect, but technology is always improving on smart devices, maybe 
technology has progressed enough to be a viable possibility for you.  I will 
pass your expressed needs on to our product development team, we are always 
working to improve our products.
    You asked if the T8400 has an option for a longer probe.  There is only 
one size probe in our T8400 Talking Thermometer, the probe isn't removable, 
or interchangeable.
    If you have any further questions, please let us know.
    Best regards,
    Beverly L. Bowman
    Customer Care”

    I didn’t expect much more than that, but it never hurts to ask.

    I also posted my query about a hands free thermometer with a leave-in 
probe (attached to a wire/cable) option on the blind subreddit and someone 
did bring up Meater thermometers that supposedly can read out the 
temperature changes with VO, but they all seem to be wireless probes. Not 
exactly what I’m looking for. If anyone’s interested, their website is: 
https://meater.com/

    I think ultimately, the solution to my search will be if one of the 
existing bluetooth thermometer app developers can make it so VO simply 
speaks out the display with the temperature readings as it changes.

    Anyway, the search continues I guess.





    Cristóbal



    From: [email protected] <[email protected]> On Behalf Of 
Sieghard Weitzel
    Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2023 4:31 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: RE: Talking cooking thermometers



    First of all, sorry for the "rumage", my keyboard is getting old and it 
sometimes ignores double presses of letters as in "rummage".

    Also, here again the Dropbox link to my demo as I forgot to edit it the 
first time around:



    Demo of Kizen InstaPen Pro Voice



    From: [email protected] <[email protected]> On Behalf Of 
Sieghard Weitzel
    Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2023 4:26 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Talking cooking thermometers



    Hello,



    This topic came up a week or two ago and while the talking instant read 
thermometer I am mentioning here is not in any way a smart device connected 
to an iPhone, I wanted to briefly write a few sentences about it because I 
feel that certain stand-alone speaking devices should not be off-topic as 
long as  you compare them with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi models which connect to 
the phone.

    Anyways, I bought the following model:

    Kizen Instapen Pro Instant Read Meat Thermometer - Best Waterproof 
Thermometer with Talking Function, Backlight & Calibration. Digital Food 
Thermometer

    Here are links for both Amazon Canada and Amazon.com:



    Amazon Canada link

    Amazon.com link



    From Amazon Canada this is currently available for $39.50 Canadian, on 
Amazon.com is is only $21.20 US, but before anybody from Canada thinks they 
can get a deal, make sure you notice where it says "No Import Fees Deposit & 
$9.74 Shipping to Canada". If you add up $21.20 and $9.74 you end up with 
$30.94 US which is approx. $41 Canadian so definitely no savings here.



    When I received it it came in a small cardboard box and it looked and 
felt well-made. There is a display on one side and above it are 3 buttons, 
the middle one you press to make it speak the temperature, the left one (if 
you look at it with the tip folded out and pointing up) switches from 
Fahrenheit to Celsius and the right one turns on backlighting for the 
display. This means that once you select which temperature unit you want, as 
a blind person all you ever need is the talk button in the middle.

    On the opposite side is the battery cover, it is round and about the 
size of a Canadian 2 Dollar coin and it has in fact a coin slot so when you 
want to open it, use a coin, give it a quarter turn and it is unlocked.

    The battery inside is a single CR2450 Lithium button cell, it is a 
rather big one as button cell batteries go and they are readily available, I 
just ordered a replacement pack of 4 Energizer ones from Amazon Canada for 
$10, you can find packs of 10 for even less per piece and there are no-name 
brand ones available for as little as 80 Cents a piece if you order 10 or 
15, but who needs this many.

    When you fold it there is a small but noticeable click at the ver end 
when it locks into place and this turns the thermometer off, fold it out and 
it turns on - simple and pretty standard for these type of devices.

    The unit came with a battery installed and 1 replacement battery in a 
tiny ziplock bag, other than that there is just a folded manual and that is 
it, I liked the fact that except for the small ziplock bag with the battery 
and one of these clingy plastic films which covered the side where the 
screen is there is no other plastic packaging.When I first folded it out and 
pushed the talk button all I heard was a half-second little cough and that 
was it. I already assumed that maybe I had a defective unit especially since 
somebody else in the original thread posted they had ordered one of these 
and it wasn't working.

    I logged into my Amazon account and since it was not sold by Amazon, 
when I requested a return I first had to send a message to the seller. I 
explained what was happening and within a couple of hours I received the 
below reply:



    Hello Sieghard,

    Thanks for reaching out!

    We are sorry to hear about the voice function not working properly. This 
is not the type of experience we would like to provide.

    We want to assure you that the issue you encountered is not a common 
occurrence. Our products undergo rigorous quality control measures to ensure 
their performance and reliability. However, as with any manufactured item, 
there can be isolated cases where unforeseen issues arise.

    Since you mentioned you are only hearing a small sound when pressing the 
talk button and no temperature readings are being spoken, it appears there 
may be an issue with the voice function on your specific unit.

    A few things I would suggest trying:

    1. Replace the battery in the thermometer with a fresh one. Low or dead 
batteries can sometimes cause issues with the voice function.

    2.            Double-check that the voice function is properly enabled 
on your thermometer. There should be a switch or button to turn the voice on 
and off. Make sure it is switched to the "on" position.

    3.            If replacing the battery and ensuring the voice is on does 
not resolve the issue, it seems your thermometer may have a defect with the 
voice component. In this case, returning the item for a replacement or 
refund through Amazon is the correct course of action.

    Amazon has set procedures in place for handling orders within 30 days, 
and they will provide the necessary assistance. Also, we rely on Amazon's 
streamlined fulfillment services to store, sell and fulfill all of our 
products. We apologize for the inconvenience this has brought.

    If you have additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to 
reach out again. We are here for you.



    All the best,

    Mon

    Customer Obsession Representative



    Note the " Customer Obsession Representative", I thought that is a nice 
touch.



    Anyways, maybe previous models had an on/off switch, but I asked one o 
fmy sighted employees to check the unit and apart from the "Talk" button 
there was nothing.

    Of course replacing the battery was something I had thought of doing so 
after this advice from them I did replace it with the other one which came 
in the box and this immediately resolved the issue and the device is working 
perfectly now.

    I am including a link below which plays a little recording where I am 
holding the tip in a jug of water, I let the temperature speak and then I 
add a cup of very hot water, I let it speak the result, then I add another 
cup of hot water etc. As you can see the thermometer works very well and it 
is also quick, after pressing the button you can press it again after a 
second or so even though in the description it mentions a 2-3 second 
response time, but at least it is not like a previous model I had years ago 
which had a very large and thick probe which was connected with a cable to a 
little box which had the talk button so  you really needed two hands to do 
this and then after pressing the button it would take at least 3 seconds 
before it even spoke the result. This fold-out probe is about 6  inches long 
so plenty long enough to poke into a large turkey and it is super easy to 
use one handed.

    Another nice little detail is that the side opposite to the buttons has 
a magnet towards the top of the handle so when it is folded up you can just 
stick it onto the fridge instead of having to put it in a drawer where you 
have to rumage around for it. It also has a large hole molded into the 
housing at the top so you can also hang it on a hook or attach a lanyard if 
you want to hang it around your neck during cooking.

    All in all I am very pleased with the unit, it is not super expensive 
and seems to work extremely well.

    Here now the link to the recording, if you listen carefully at the 
beginning where I mention that I am now unfolding it, you hear the little 
click which you get when you fold and unfold it and I assume that is 
possibly what triggers the thermometer to turn on and off. Also when I press 
the talk button quickly at the end there was one time when I pressed it and 
it had just barely finished speaking and that time I had to press it again 
as it was apparently not ready for the next reading.. It's too bad there 
isn't a way to lock the speaking function for continuous speaking without 
having to press the button which ould be useful if you were checking, for 
example, oil temperature for deep frying, but since you can easily hold the 
thermometer and press the button with one hand it really isn't a big deal.



    Demo of Kizen InstaPen Pro Voice



    Best regards,

    Sieghard

    -- 
    The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone 
list.

    If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or 
if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners 
or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.

    Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor. Mark can be reached at: 
[email protected]. Your list owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at 
[email protected]

    The archives for this list can be searched at:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
    --- 
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
Groups "VIPhone" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send 
an email to [email protected].
    To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/PH7PR12MB565617F2A681B72A9E5DD1BDC701A%40PH7PR12MB5656.namprd12.prod.outlook.com.

    -- 
    The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone 
list.

    If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or 
if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners 
or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.

    Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor. Mark can be reached at: 
[email protected]. Your list owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at 
[email protected]

    The archives for this list can be searched at:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
    --- 
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
Groups "VIPhone" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send 
an email to [email protected].
    To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/PH7PR12MB565624C242224698BCA7885BC701A%40PH7PR12MB5656.namprd12.prod.outlook.com.


    -- 
    The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone 
list.

    If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or 
if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners 
or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.

    Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor. Mark can be reached at: 
[email protected]. Your list owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at 
[email protected]

    The archives for this list can be searched at:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
    --- 
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
Groups "VIPhone" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send 
an email to [email protected].
    To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/0b5f01d9c4d6%244a9d2b80%24dfd78280%24%40gmail.com.


  -- 
  The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone 
list.

  If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or 
if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners 
or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.

  Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor. Mark can be reached at: 
[email protected]. Your list owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at 
[email protected]

  The archives for this list can be searched at:
  http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
  --- 
  You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"VIPhone" group.
  To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
email to [email protected].
  To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/93684DFC-5EC8-4850-A7F7-054E08EFFADE%40comcast.net.

-- 
The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone list.

If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you 
feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or 
moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.

Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor.  Mark can be reached at:  
[email protected].  Your list owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at 
[email protected]

The archives for this list can be searched at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"VIPhone" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/5597AC63569E420CBC1888EC6242131E%40home.

Reply via email to