Hello Everyone, Well, I must admit, to my utter surprise, I am delighted with the apps and data that were restored to my beloved iPad Pro via iTunes 12.10 for Windows.
A week ago, I thought I had cracked the display on my iPad Pro 10.5, 2017, which was running a beta version of iPad OS 15. The device is out of warranty. However, since it has a physical home button with Touch ID, I decided to take it to the Apple Store and have the display repaired / exchange the iPad for a comparable device paying the out-of-warranty repair / replacement fee of $449. Some of you may recall that it was not until just a few weeks ago that I discovered a 32-bit version of iTunes, that is compatible with Windows 7 and 8, that would allow me to manage devices running recent versions of iOS and iPad OS. I downloaded this version of iTunes from the Apple support site. In preparation for taking my iPad to the Apple Store, I prepared the iPad by: 1. Making an iCloud backup. 2. Making a fully encrypted backup of the iPad to my Windows PC via iTunes for Windows 12.10. 3. Signing out of all accounts and erasing all personal data. As it turned out, it was not the display, itself, that was cracked but merely the screen protector. What a relief. As I wanted to remove the device from the beta program immediately, and given that I was not content to simply remove the beta software profile and wait for a newer commercial version of iPad OS to be released, in order to replace the beta, I knew I would have to install a fresh copy of iPad OS 15 via either iTunes 12.10.x for Windows or Finder. Now keep in mind that this was to be the first time I had performed a system restore since I gave up on iTunes for Business 12.6 which, as you may also recall, was the last version to include the App Store in the UI. My point? I had no real idea of what, exactly, would be restored to the iPad from the iTunes 12.10 encrypted backup. When I restarted my iPAd after the restoration and subsequent iTunes for windows synchronization process, I was amazed to see that virtually everything was as it should be in terms of apps and app settings. Now of course there were a few apps that did not retain my login credentials but these were those that were configured to use Touch ID. I was most relieved to discover that all of my Home Screen web bookmarks were restored. So, all and all, I would say that even though the App Store is no longer included in the iTunes for Windows UI, the backups made in iTunes for Windows is pretty comprehensive. Well done, Apple, well done. Mark -- The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone list. If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself. Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor. Mark can be reached at: [email protected]. Your list owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at [email protected] The archives for this list can be searched at: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/ --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VIPhone" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/000001d7b337%248d9d7a00%24a8d86e00%24%40edu.
