Hello all,
Following on this thread, I have changed the subject to reflect what I'm about 
to post.
For those who are interested in the Homepod, are due to receive one or received 
one already, I invite you to join my new list with dedication to the Homepod. I 
did this to try and prevent the bashing between that and rivals like Amazon 
Echo and Google Home to name but a few. So, if interested, please send an email 
to
[email protected]
Alternatively you can request an off list invite or an off list request to add 
you directly using your email address.
Thanks in advance for joining, I look forward to seeing you on there.


> On 12 Feb 2018, at 07:14, Sieghard Weitzel <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Why on earth they wouldn't make it a standard plug-in cable like on the Apple 
> TV which happens to be the same as any Sonos player is beyond me.
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email protected] <[email protected]> On Behalf Of Aleeha 
> Dudley
> Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 1:45 PM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: I went to pick up my Apple HomePod and got a dire warning, CNET
> 
> I saw online that the repair for the HomePod cable is $29. 
> Aleeha 
> 
>> On Feb 11, 2018, at 2:28 PM, M. Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>> I went to pick up my Apple HomePod and got a dire warning
>> Commentary: When you buy Apple's new musically smart speaker, you're 
>> told to be very careful with it or it'll really cost you.
>> By Chris Matyszczyk, February 11, 2018 9:30 AM PST
>> 
>> It really is quite pretty.
>> Andrew Hoyle/CNET
>> It was such a sunny day in Northern California on Friday.
>> Little did I know that it would be clouded by portents of doom. 
>> After all, I was wandering along to my local Apple store in Marin 
>> County to pick up an Apple HomePod on launch day.
>> I'd never bought a first-generation Apple product before, preferring 
>> the company to iron out kinks before I give it my louchely earned lucre.
>> For utterly irrational reasons, I felt good about the HomePod. 
>> Yes, it's expensive. But I couldn't bear the idea of a Google Home or 
>> Amazon Echo -- aka the salt cellar and the garbage can -- in the 
>> house. Aesthetics, you understand. (I can feel you pitying me.) I 
>> presented the QR code kindly texted me by Apple that morning and the 
>> store employee, a rather positive sort, insisted I'd be so very, very 
>> excited about getting my new toy.
>> "We've been playing with it here all morning and the sound fills the 
>> whole store. It's incredible," he said.
>> "Incredible sounds good," I thought to myself. "But is that better 
>> than, say, magical and revolutionary?" It's hard to tell with Apple's 
>> constant embrace of superlatives.
>> We chatted pleasantly for a little while, as we waited for the HomePod 
>> to emerge from the back.
>> But when it did arrive, the atmosphere changed.
>> "Now I have to warn you," the store employee began. Oh. 
>> "The cable is permanently attached to the HomePod. If you rip it, 
>> it'll cost you almost as much as the HomePod itself to repair," he 
>> said. (Naturally, someone has already tried to rip it off.) I didn't 
>> have time to react, as he continued: "A pet or a vacuum cleaner 
>> catches it, and it'll be really expensive."
>> I insisted I had neither of these things.
>> He barely listened and added: "Unless you've got AppleCare."
>> Aha. 
>> The math is painful. The HomePod costs $350. Repairing it costs $279, 
>> as revealed by Apple support -- and my Apple store salesman -- on Friday.
>> As for AppleCare+ for HomePod, which extends your coverage to two 
>> years, that's $39.
>> The Apple store employee admitted that he was duty-bound to lay out 
>> his fears for my gadget-caring inadequacies.
>> It is, though, rare for a product to cost almost as much to repair as 
>> to buy. Repair costs for Apple products are going up, though. The cost 
>> of repairing an iPhone X screen? Why, $279.
>> In the case of the HomePod, unless you have AppleCare+, why wouldn't 
>> you just buy a new one, rather than wait an unspecified period for 
>> your own to be repaired?
>> Apple didn't immediately respond to a request for comment. It's 
>> likely, however, that the high cost of repair is linked to the fact 
>> that the product is one whole piece, with seemingly no place of entry to 
>> outsiders at all.
>> The mesh of the device, though, will surely attract some 
>> scratching-obsessed cats. Which, in my experience, is most cats. It'll 
>> be fascinating to see whether there will be a sudden surge of cat-related 
>> snafus.
>> I walked out with my head hanging a little lower, worried about a 
>> neighbor's cat wandering into our house. A few hours later, it 
>> actually happened, as a lithe ginger cat sauntered in to look around. 
>> (The front door's open when it's warm.) I want to end on an uplift, 
>> however. Let's talk about the HomePod's cable.
>> It's thick and study-looking. It doesn't look as if it will fray like, 
>> well, every other Apple cable I've owned. It doesn't look easy to yank 
>> off, even if you're an aggressive vacuum cleaner or a rabid cat.
>> Why doesn't the person who designed this cable design all of Apple's others?
>> I brought my HomePod home. It took but a minute to set up. It's 
>> actually quite pretty and the sound is clear and strong. Although Siri 
>> has already begun to protest that she's can't play my music any louder 
>> than she is already.
>> "Try harder," I keep pleading.
>> Now, though, it's me against the neighborhood cats. I wonder if I 
>> could charge their owners $279 if their cat scratches my HomePod.
>> 
>> Original Article at:
>> https://www.cnet.com/news/i-went-to-pick-up-my-apple-homepod-and-got-a
>> -dire-
>> warning/#ftag=CAD-09-10aai5b
>> 
>> --
>> The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone list.
>> 
>> If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if 
>> you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or 
>> moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.
>> 
>> Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor.  Mark can be reached at:  
>> [email protected].  Your list owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at 
>> [email protected]
>> 
>> The archives for this list can be searched at:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
>> ---
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>> "VIPhone" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
>> email to [email protected].
>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
> 
> --
> The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone list.
> 
> If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if 
> you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or 
> moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.
> 
> Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor.  Mark can be reached at:  
> [email protected].  Your list owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at 
> [email protected]
> 
> The archives for this list can be searched at:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "VIPhone" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to [email protected].
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
> 
> -- 
> The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone list.
> 
> If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if 
> you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or 
> moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.
> 
> Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor.  Mark can be reached at:  
> [email protected].  Your list owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at 
> [email protected]
> 
> The archives for this list can be searched at:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
> --- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "VIPhone" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to [email protected].
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

-- 
The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone list.

If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you 
feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or 
moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.

Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor.  Mark can be reached at:  
[email protected].  Your list owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at 
[email protected]

The archives for this list can be searched at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"VIPhone" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to