Thanks Bob.  I guess I'm still not sure how to use those keywords.

For example, let's say I have a date stored in a database as 2011-03-01 and I 
want to display that in accordance with the users preference setting (on a 
Mac).   Prowling around the dictionary, it looks like maybe if I convert the 
database date to be in dateitems format, I could use "convert myDate from 
dateitems to short system date" to do what I want.  and vice versa. Same for 
time format conversion.  Or is there a better way?


On the number Format, I don't think that helps me.  Seems like it just allows 
you to specify how many decimal places there should be in a number and doesn't 
use whatever is in the user's preferences to format it.  I need to get hold of 
the characters used to represent the decimal point, the thousands separator, 
and the currency symbol.  I suppose I can provide a way for the user to specify 
that within my app, just seems a waste when the info is, or should be, 
available from the OS preferences.

Pete Haworth

On Feb 28, 2011, at 8:30 AM, Bob Sneidar wrote:

> the system time, the system date, the numberFormat.  
> 
> Bob
> 
> 
> On Feb 27, 2011, at 10:14 AM, Peter Haworth wrote:
> 
>> I would like to ensure that all dates, numbers, and currency values in my 
>> app are formatted according to the user's preferences in the  Format tab of 
>> the OSX Language and Text Preferences.  I found the dateFormat property that 
>> helps but haven't found anything in LC that helps with the other formats.  
>> Does LC provide a way to get hold of those preferences or does anyone have 
>> an Applescript that will do it?
>> 
>> Pete Haworth
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> use-livecode mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription 
>> preferences:
>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [email protected]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription 
> preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
> 


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[email protected]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription 
preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode

Reply via email to