So the flow that causes the fall through into the emergency shell is: * Reboot is issued by the user, all molly-guard checks are passed, and the system pivots into the initramfs for the shutdown process * The shutdown steps reach the end (everything is stopped, all disks are unmounted, machine is ready for poweroff) and so the last step calls `reboot -f -n` to actually issue the hardware reboot command. * /usr/sbin/reboot is symlinked to /usr/lib/molly-guard, even in the initramfs. * Molly-guard then looks for `reboot.no-molly-guard` (line 19 checks for the existence of `"$CMD.no-molly-guard"`and echos the `"E: not a regular file: $EXEC"` and exits 4 when it can't find them) * Reboot fails and emergency shell is generated.
which is why installing the symlinks fixes it - molly-guard finds them and calls them. I *suspect* the better fix is to install the .no-molly- guard versions as `/usr/sbin/shutdown,reboot,poweroff,...}` in the initramfs, I just don't know enough about dracut to know how to install one file with another name - I think we'd need to create a module, but I don't know how that would conflict with /usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/86shutdown trying (which currently installs shutdown and reboot) If we do keep it simple and just insert the .no-molly-guard files into the initramfs, we *don't* need the config files, the actual Molly-guard check happened when the user issued the reboot command, long before we pivoted into the initramfs for the shutdown. All molly-guard should be doing now is passing us through to the `*.no-molly-guard` version of the command. In fact, I suspect we actively *Do Not Want* the config included - I suspect very few users will be writing their run.d scripts expecting them to run inside an initramfs environment, and the odds they'll call a program or look for a file that isn't there is high, which will terminate the reboot and cause a drop into an emergency shell. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2167868 Title: Molly-guard breaks sutdown/reboot on Ubuntu Resolute To manage notifications about this bug go to: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/molly-guard/+bug/2167868/+subscriptions -- ubuntu-bugs mailing list [email protected] https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs
