Update with additional testing on kernel 7.0.0-34-generic (BIOS F.23).
Correction to the original report: COEF registers DO respond to hda-verb
(I could read and write COEF index 0x10 on node 0x20), so that statement
in the description is wrong.

Findings:
1. With snd_hda_codec.dyndbg=+p the kernel reports:
   "ALC295: picked fixup  for PCI SSID 103c:0000"
   i.e. a generic HP fallback (empty name); there is no entry for 103c:86e3.
2. Codec GPIOs (/proc/asound/card1/codec#0): GPIO io=3, and IO[0..2] all
   enable=0 dir=0 data=0. Nothing enables them.
3. ACPI: I disassembled DSDT and all SSDTs (acpidump/iasl). A case-sensitive
   search for LED, MLED, MUTL and "mute" finds no matching symbols.
   WMID.GWEV calls are HP WMI events only.
4. Manual test of what ALC295_FIXUP_HP_MUTE_LED_COEFBIT11 does: setting
   bit 11 of COEF 0x10 on node 0x20 (0x20 -> 0x820, then restored) does NOT
   light the LED on this machine. So that quirk alone is not enough.
5. Previously tried without success: alc295-hp-x360, hp-mute-led-mic3,
   HDA Jack Retask, Intel SOF (dsp_driver=3), raw hda-verb on GPIO/COEF.
   hp_wmi is loaded.

Not concluded: runtime tests of the other hp-mute-led-* models via
modelname/reconfig were inconclusive, so I don't consider them ruled out.
I don't know whether another COEF bit or the Embedded Controller drives the LED.

The LED works on Windows, so a driver-level method exists. If anyone knows
which register/interface HP uses, I can test patches and report back.

Attached: dmesg-hda.txt, alsa-info, DSDT/SSDT tables (MSDM removed).

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2155632

Title:
  Mute LED not working on HP Pavilion 15-cs3xxx (ALC295, subsystem
  0x103c86e3)

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/2155632/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

Reply via email to