I investigated this further on ASUS ExpertBook PM3406CHA with:

  Codec: Realtek ALC256
  Vendor ID: 0x10ec0256
  Subsystem ID: 0x10431664
  Kernel tested: 7.2.6-arch2-1

Windows previously produced normal speaker output on this hardware.

On a fresh Linux boot the internal speakers are silent, although ALSA/PipeWire
routing is correct and an active PCM stream reaches ALC256 DAC node 0x02.

Fresh-boot Realtek coefficient 0x10 is:

  0x1d20

I experimentally reduced a larger PM3406CHA codec initialization sequence to
one required change.

Starting from a fresh reboot, with speaker-test already running and silent,
executing only:

  hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC1D0 0x20 0x500 0x10
  hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC1D0 0x20 0x400 0x7f20

immediately restores internal-speaker output.

No volume/mixer change is required at that point.

I separately eliminated the following from the speaker fix:

  GPIO2 changes
  speaker/headphone EAPD changes
  headphone pin-control changes
  coefficients 0x06, 0x16, 0x1b, 0x23, 0x30, 0x35,
  0x37, 0x45, 0x46 and 0x49

A boot-time userspace workaround applying only coef 0x10=0x7f20 has also been
verified across a reboot.

Suspend -> resume retains working audio without reapplying the
workaround.

This therefore appears suitable for an ALC256 machine quirk for subsystem
1043:1664 which registers:

  { 0x20, AC_VERB_SET_COEF_INDEX, 0x10 },
  { 0x20, AC_VERB_SET_PROC_COEF, 0x7f20 },

I have a candidate alc269.c patch implementing this.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Bugs, which is subscribed to Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2162718

Title:
  No sound from internal speakers on ASUS ExpertBook P3 (PM3406CHA) -
  Realtek ALC256, subsystem 1043:1664 not covered by existing fix

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/2162718/+subscriptions


-- 
ubuntu-bugs mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-bugs

Reply via email to