On Oct 16 10:14:14, [email protected] wrote:
> [moving to tech@]
> 
> On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 08:03:32 CEST Stefan Fritsch wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Sep 2016, Darren Tucker wrote:
> > > On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 1:43 AM, Jan Stary <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > > This is current/i386 on an ALIX.1E (demsg below).
> > > > I have an USB disk connected for /backup.
> > > > 
> > > > Upon every reboot, the filesystem on that disk is dirty:
> > > > WARNING: R/W mount of /backup denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run
> > > > fsck

Since then, I have used three different disks and USB enclosures,
each working flawlessly anywhere else. The problem is still there,
so it's most probably not the disk.

> > > I saw something similar on an APU where the root disk was on
> > > (USB-attached) sdcard:
> > > http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=144237305322074&w=2
> > > 
> > > It seems to be a race.  There used to be a 4sec pause in the kernel
> > > that was removed:
> > > 
> > > """
> > > Remove 4 second delay on reboot/shutdown that was added 8 years
> > > ago to "workaround MP timeout/splhigh/scsi race at reboot time".
> > > """

> > I think before we re-add some arbitrary delays, we should check if we are
> > actually sending an explicit cache flush command to the disk controllers.
> > I have some code somewhere that does this for umount and mount -ur. I will
> > look for it and send it to tech@, but probably not today.

For now, I just put 'umount /backup' in my rc.shutdown
and that makes it umount cleanly.

> I found a few cases, where we should send a cache flush but don't. 
> Unfortunately, none of these cases explain the problem seen by Jan and Darren.
> 
> The cases I have found are:
> 
> * When a R/W mount is updated to R/O. I will send patches for this in a 
> separate mail.

Not this case.

> * When a R/W mount is unmounted but there is still another partition from the 
> same disk mounted.

Not this case.

> For the usb disk issue, some more debugging is necessary.

How can I help debug this?

        Jan


Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: high speed, self powered, config 1, EHCI root hub(0x0000), AMD(0x1022), 
rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
 port 3 addr 2: high speed, self powered, config 1, Mass Storage 
Device(0x2506), Prolific Technology Inc.(0x067b), rev 1.00, iSerialNumber 
000000000000
 port 4 powered
Controller /dev/usb1:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, OHCI root hub(0x0000), AMD(0x1022), 
rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
 port 3 powered
 port 4 powered

Reply via email to