On 2016-11-17 15:21, Holger Naundorf wrote:
> Hello,
> I am currently setting up a test environment with SLURM to evaluate it
> for regular use.
>
> It looks as if the 'TmpFS' setting is not used - I set
>
> TmpFS=/scratch
>
> in slurm.conf, but if I run 'slurmd -C' on my nodes I get back the size
> of the partition containing /tmp for my 'TmpDisk' space. Within Slurm
> jobs $TMPDIR also gets set to /tmp.
>
>
> $ df -h /tmp/
> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda2        96G  8.0G   84G   9% /
>
> $ df -h /scratch/
> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sdb1       1.8T   68M  1.7T   1% /scratch
>
> $ ./sbin/slurmd -C
> ClusterName=XXXXX NodeName=XXXX CPUs=12 Boards=1 SocketsPerBoard=2
> CoresPerSocket=6 ThreadsPerCore=1 RealMemory=48258 TmpDisk=98301
>
> $ grep TmpFS ./etc/slurm.conf
> TmpFS=/scratch
>
>
> I am using Slurm v16.05.5.
>
> I am just starting with this, so maybe I am overlooking something
> obvious, but I did not find other tuning option for this in the
> documentation.
>
> Regards,
> Holger Naundorf
>
I've ran into the same. I think the issue is that "slurmd -C" doesn't read the 
config file (since the purpose is to print a line you can use when creating 
your config file). Once you start slurmd for real then it reads the config 
file, and TmpFS is handled like it should. Per se, the calculation that it does 
is not that difficult, you can do it yourself in the shell with something like

echo $(($(df --output=size /scratch|tail -1) / 1024))

And no, TmpFS has no effect on setting TMPDIR in jobs. If you want to do that, 
you have to do it yourself, e.g. with a TaskProlog (see slurm.conf man page) 
script.

-- 
Janne Blomqvist, D.Sc. (Tech.), Scientific Computing Specialist
Aalto University School of Science, PHYS & NBE
+358503841576 || [email protected]

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: OpenPGP digital signature

Reply via email to