I know the feeling, not just with container space (remember sun/solaris
south park meme here please) stuff but in general in computing seeing
through branding/promotion Dr. Kay have some quote about all been a pop
culture.

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 8:44 PM, Lachlan Musicman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yes, rkt was probably my preferred option. The researchers I work with
> aren't necessarily up to date with what's best practice wrt to this area,
> so docker is what they know best by virtue of branding/promotion. I don't
> mind which is used in a solution, if any. But yes, rkt would be my
> preference.
>
> Cheers
> L.
>
> ------
> The most dangerous phrase in the language is, "We've always done it this
> way."
>
> - Grace Hopper
>
> On 16 November 2016 at 12:29, Jean Chassoul <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just wondering, have you consider rkt? I wonder if you run pip inside
>> virtualenv's if that is the case the switch to a container with rkt seems
>> "normal" instead of a more intrusive one all mighty process to rule
>> everything that docker had the last time I check, its probably better now.
>>
>> Saludos.
>> Jean
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 8:21 PM, Lachlan Musicman <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hola,
>>>
>>> We were looking for the ability to make jobs perfectly reproducible -
>>> while the system is set up with environment modules with the increasing
>>> number of package management tools - pip/conda; npm; CRAN/Bioconductor -
>>> and people building increasingly more complex software stacks, our users
>>> have started asking about containerization and slurm.
>>>
>>> I have found a discussion on this list from about a year ago
>>>
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/slurm-devel/oPmz5em5tAA/BYlDDfRDzTgJ
>>>
>>> which mentioned a tool that's not been updated since and one called
>>> Shifter by NERSC, which is Cray specific?.
>>>
>>> Has anyone tried Shifter out and has there been any movement on this? I
>>> presume the licensing issues remain.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> L.
>>> ------
>>> The most dangerous phrase in the language is, "We've always done it this
>>> way."
>>>
>>> - Grace Hopper
>>>
>>
>>
>

Reply via email to