FAKE NEWS!

Wink! 

It does not say "light touring" in the Cheviot brochure.  The brochure 
mentions the word touring four times:

1 and 2.  "A top tube adds stiffness necessary for racing bikes or heavily 
loaded touring bikes, but for
commuting, day rides, moderate touring loads (up to 35lbs), and trail 
rides, you don’t need
it."

I interpret this statement to mean  "The Cheviot is a capable touring 
bike.  A step through frame is strong.  A frame with a top tube AND a 
diagatube (like a Hunqapillar) is stronger. Choose the one that you think 
is best for how you plan to use it"

3.  "Ready for Touring"
4.  "It’s stiff enough for touring."

 

Jay asked whether "the issue" involves strength or bike handling.  

It's neither.  Rivendell is not telling you the bike will break if you put 
36 pounds on it.  Rivendell is not telling you that your bike will be 
unrideable if you put 40 pounds on it.  Rivendell is not telegraphing that 
if I weigh 170 and have 35 pounds of touring gear, that you will break your 
bike if you weigh over 205.  

It's just a recommendation.  The intent of a brochure is to plant 
encouraging and positive ideas in the mind of the customer about what kinds 
of things they might want to use this particular bike for.  It's also a 
design *INTENT.  *As Grant designed this bike, he was thinking about riders 
doing a swath of activities, including 'moderate touring'.  Some people put 
75 pounds on a racing bike and ride across country and have the time of 
their lives.  Those people probably would have done even better on a 
Cheviot.  



Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

On Friday, November 3, 2017 at 11:07:48 AM UTC-7, Jay Connolly wrote:
>
> I'm often struck by references to "light touring"--most recently in the 
> posted Cheviot brochure, which advises that the bike is suitable for light 
> touring (up to 35 pounds). I'm interested in whether the issue involves 
> frame strength or bike handling. I weigh more than most people PLUS their 
> full touring loads, and I've never had any issues on any kind of steel 
> frame--road, cross, or mtb. If a smaller person--a 175 pounder, for the 
> sake of argument--were touring on a Cheviot or any other light touring 
> bike, is there a reason why they would need to keep the load under 35 
> pounds? I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable with design/engineering 
> principles to understand how various loads and roads might stress chain and 
> seat stays, for instance. 
>
> We use all ultralight camping gear, and when touring, my load probably 
> runs to no more than 25 pounds, but I have toured only on robust touring 
> bikes (LHT and Fargo). I'm not looking for a light touring bike. I ask 
> purely out of interest.
>
> Jay
>
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RBW 
Owners Bunch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/rbw-owners-bunch.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to