I'll gladly answer any and all questions of this sort but I would
prefer to keep those discussions offlist as they tend to venture too
far away from RBW topics.


On Jul 15, 10:16 am, PATRICK MOORE <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm curious: why do you avoid animal products for these things? I understand
> a vegan diet for health or ascetical reasons, but obviously those don't
> apply to leather saddles and saddlebag trim.
> And what are your alternatives for saddles, beside petrochemicals?
>
> I'm not trying to be annoying, but I am puzzled.
>
> I'm also puzzled by what you mean by "de-normalizing bicycle design
> and gender" -- I suppose that, by "gender", you mean "sex" (man -- in
> this more limited and
> non-specific meaning -- is a sex, not a gender, which is a grammatical term,
> all question begging about usage aside). So, what exactly do you mean by
> "de-normalizing bicycle design and sex"? (I expect you don't mean that one's
> testicles are safer without a top tube.)
>
> Patrick "slinging no mud, at all, at all" Moore
>
>
>
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:38 AM, JL <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Living a vegan lifestyle and being a cyclist are two things that I
> > have done for quite a while now.  However, these two aspects of my
> > life are just small pieces of who I am as a person in the world.
> > Making consumer choices that don't include (oh the horror -hahaha)
> > leather and wool often limits my bicycle component choices -especially
> > within the Riv world. I make my own when I can. I was really happy to
> > see Riv come up with a few leather-free bags.  While the bags
> > themselves are handy, one can be assured that labor conditions and
> > quality are top concerns when buying something from this company.
> > Furthermore I see it as an attempt to de-normalize bicycle components,
> > much like their stance on the mixtie for men works to de-normalize
> > bicycle design and gender.  There are tons of non-leather etc products
> > in the bike world, but it is difficult to find high quality, ethically
> > produced and attractive goods. I have had some rather unpleasant
> > experiences with bicycle component/accessory companies when I inquired
> > about animal product free options. Thanks Rivendell for taking a
> > step.
>
> > ps: This is not meant as an add for a particular lifestyle, just an
> > attempt to give my perspective on an aspect of the Rivendell company.
> > It is often difficult to discuss things that venture into a semi-
> > political realm I hope we can all avoid mudslinging.
>
> > Second ps - There are high quality leather-like textiles being
> > produced in different parts of the world now.  The thing I would put
> > on the top of my non-leather wish list is a well made, good looking,
> > hammock (brooks etc) style saddle.
>
> --
> Patrick Moore
> Albuquerque, NM
> Professional Resumes. Contact [email protected]
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RBW 
Owners Bunch" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/rbw-owners-bunch?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to