To Dan's L's point, though.

This is stupid.  Python3.11 is supported for security fixes for another 
year-plus.  It's got an active 2025 CVE with what looks like a reasonable fix, 
even if "unofficial".

Blocking on "we can't accept the changes unless upstream says they're okay" -- 
upstream thinks "the code we have, with the active CVE" is okay, otherwise they 
would have, yanno, put out a new release.  Because it's still supported.  
Otherwise, that statement about support and EOL dates is meaningless.

Yes, developer fatigue is a thing, god knows I've hit it myself when Life 
Happened.

And yeah, pkg-audit needs a knob that exempts specific CVEID's/vuxml 
entries/packages from its alert.  If you've looked at your system, read the tea 
leaves, asked other knowledgeable people, asked your favorite LLM, and asked 
your magic 8 ball and you say "okay, this is an imap and pop3 vuln, I am sure 
I'm not using those libs" OR "I have patched the code that consumes those 
functions" OR  "in fact I've deleted them post-install, let me go on with 
life", you should be able to.

-Dan


> On Aug 8, 2026, at 11:27 PM, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Charlie Li <[email protected]> writes:
>> Nothing will be backported until upstream can verify that the fixes do
>> not break existing (correct) behaviour. Currently only the imaplib
>> (CVE-2025-15366) fixes are present in the latest upstream
>> lang/python31{3,4,5}.
> 
> Not true.  The patches I posted _are_ from upstream 3.15.  There is an
> additional commit to imaplib commit which we could include:
> 
> commit d0921efb665aff26b378f495e5ff84f7e3fe649d
> Author:     Serhiy Storchaka <[email protected]>
> AuthorDate: Sun Jul 5 18:25:36 2026 +0300
> Commit:     GitHub <[email protected]>
> CommitDate: Sun Jul 5 18:25:36 2026 +0300
> 
>    gh-143921: Narrow the control character check in imaplib commands 
> (GH-153067)
> 
>    Only NUL, CR and LF are rejected now.  Other control characters are
>    valid in quoted strings and can occur in mailbox names returned by
>    the server, so they are now accepted and sent quoted.
> 
>    Co-authored-by: Claude Fable 5 <[email protected]>
> 
> Upstream 3.13.15 and 3.14.7 already have both imaplib patches but not
> the poplib patch.
> 
> DES
> -- 
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav - [email protected]
> 


Reply via email to