On 7/27/26 02:47, Tomoaki AOKI wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2026 01:25:00 -0700
"Edward Sanford Sutton, III" <[email protected]> wrote:
On 7/26/26 19:43, Steve Kargl wrote:
On 7/26/26 18:41, Edward Sanford Sutton, III wrote:
Flavors are a way to have separate packages created for different
configurations of a port. That way users of pkg do not need to go
manually build software for relatively common software variation
possibilities that they may want or need in place of a single default
set of options.
Yeah, I read the porter's documentation. I could not find where
it mentions a comprehensive list of the FLAVORs. There is no
discussion of how one can query for the list of FLAVORs.
Also not present in the normal handbook when talking about using the
ports tree. Unless I'm mistaken, people shouldn't be directed to the
porter's handbook unless trying to create or modify ports instead of
just use them. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't find any clear definition
of relevant variables and commands in /usr/ports/Mk files except as
comments above sections of what is being done with blocks of code;
normally many variables and targets are described in comments at the top
of bsd.port.mk and if not then its in the relevant other files in there.
I think FreeBSD project is directing regular users to pkg,
unless non-default options are needed.
And, there's the rub. Users may need/wish to drop into
the ports tree to build software. On at least x86_64, the
default options need to build a pkg to work on any x86_64
target. I have the following in my /etc/make.conf.
FFLAGS+= -O2 -pipe -march=native -mtune=native
FFLAGS+= -funroll-loops --param max-unroll-times=4 -ftree-vectorize
CFLAGS+= -O2 -pipe -march=native -mtune=native
--
steve