Alexander Lakhin <[email protected]> writes:
> 29.09.2026 21:31, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Also, of late the test_decoding/sql/ddl.sql test has been failing
>> often enough in the buildfarm to be quite annoying.  So I'd like to
>> see this fixed sooner not later.  (It's not very clear to me why
>> we are suddenly able to see this old bug in the regression tests.
>> The part of ddl.sql that's crashing hasn't changed in years, but
>> BF member "prion" has failed multiple times in the past two weeks.
>> Do we have a theory about that that's better than hand-wavy
>> "some change in timing"?)

> Besides prion, skink managed to trigger that assert too: [1]. It didn't run
> tests from 2026-09-08 to 2026-09-25 [2], and never failed this test before,
> so I guess the change which affected the test was on Sep 15: a4b26b8f7
> (the very first prion's failure includes this commit [3]).

I doubt that theory, because a4b26b8f7 was "Revert UPDATE/DELETE FOR
PORTION OF", so to suppose that it caused this failure you'd have to
explain why we didn't see it before any of that went in.

Assuming that there is an identifiable commit that triggered this,
it must certainly be no later than 862092932 (the latest commit seen
by prion's first failure of this sort).  But it could plausibly have
been anything within several days before that.  ddl.sql itself wasn't
touched for nearly a month before that, so I'm inclined to bet that
the relevant change was somewhere in our code not in the test itself.

Given that the problem is expensive to reproduce, I doubt that
bisecting to identify this still-hypothetical commit is worth the
trouble; I was just curious to know if anyone already understood the
connection.  Now, if it turns out that Bingshuai's patch doesn't make
prion happy, then we'll need to dig deeper.

                        regards, tom lane


Reply via email to