Hi, On Thu, 24 Sept 2026 at 18:12, Peter Eisentraut <[email protected]> wrote: > > This has been an open task in the move from autoconf to meson. It's > been discussed a few times here and there across various threads, but > it's gotten a bit confusing, so I'm starting a fresh thread. > > The holdup was that the headerscheck target was not ported to meson. > This was done a few months ago.
Yes, this was missed, nice. > So converting the CI job to meson is > now somewhat straightforward. Here are some patches. 0001 and 0003 LGTM. > (I found some existing partial work in public git branches from Andres, > of which I have integrated a few bits here.) > > I've tried to be careful to maintain the scope of each individual build > step (e.g., what features it enables, what optimization level it uses). For 0002, the 'mingw warnings (cross compilation)' step has a zlib dependency (since it is enabled by default) in the autoconf build. It is disabled in meson, but I think that is correct. I wanted to mention this nevertheless. Other than this, LGTM. > One thing we're losing is the sharing of the configure cache between the > steps (gcc.cache, clang.cache). There is a way to do that in meson > (meson-private/coredata.dat), but it's not meant to be used across > different build directories, and so we would have to restructure some of > this a bit differently, I think, so I stayed away from that for now. I didn't know that but current performance looks good to me. > I've done a few rounds of testing and it all seems quite fast, but > obviously that depends on caching, time of day, and so on, so more > testing is welcome. I had 3 runs, p_* means patched: +--------+----------+--------+ | | wo_cache | cache | +--------+----------+--------+ | master | 30m | 3m 30s | +--------+----------+--------+ | p_1 | 18m | 4m 10s | +--------+----------+--------+ | p_2 | 20m | 4m 30s | +--------+----------+--------+ These are the most recent results I got. As you said timing varies, I saw that cached runs on master can take up to 8 minutes. -- Regards, Nazir Bilal Yavuz Microsoft
