Subject: Re: [GENERAL] hash options
From: David W Noon <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 19:41:24 +0000
List-Id: <pgsql-general.postgresql.org>

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 09:59:55 -0600, Little, Douglas wrote about
[GENERAL] hash options:

>I'm working on a data warehouse dimensionalization process   where I
>need to hash a text string to use as the key. I've implemented with
>MD5.  It works fine,  the problem I have is the size of the md5 (32
>bytes) is often longer than the original string - thus not
>accomplishing what I want - space savings.
>
>Does anybody have alternative hash function recommendations?

Try CRC32, possibly augmented by a CRC16 in a separate attribute.

I have CRC functions for PostgreSQL, written in C, and will make them
available to anybody who wants them.
-- 
Regards,

Dave  [RLU #314465]
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
[email-masked] (David W Noon)
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*