‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ On Thursday, February 25, 2021 1:14 PM, Stephan Althaus <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 02/25/21 05:49 AM, Judah Richardson wrote: > > > On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 8:32 PM cretin1997 [email protected] > > wrote: > > > > > ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ > > > On Thursday, February 25, 2021 9:28 AM, Judah Richardson < > > > [email protected]> wrote: > > > > > > > Strong second to this question, in tandem with my pkg clean equivalent > > > > question on a previous thread. > > > > FWIW if you use the pkgsrc repo, it's managed by pgkin, which supports > > > > clean (I think?) & autoremove. > > > > Sorry for the lack of formatting; I'm on a phone. > > > > > > I don't track the mailing list strictly so I don't know about your thread. > > > Most of the time mails just redirected to my spam box and I cherry pick > > > the > > > thread I wanted to answer. Somehow I ignored your thread. > > > If you already have a solution, could you CC it to me? Thanks. > > > > No, I don't. No one answered my question in that thread. From my crude > > understanding of what was discussed, pkg state is pretty much frozen in the > > boot environment (BE, which allows for system rollbacks) via ZFS snapshots, > > and the boot environment is managed via beadm. As a result of this, the > > typical concepts of clearing pkg cache and autoremoving unused dependencies > > don't apply to OI, as each BE is its own self-contained entity. > > > > > p/s: I don't use pkgsrc. > > > > No worries, was just dropping that tidbit of information. IMO it's kinda > > hard to get up-to-date builds of many mainstream packages if you don't use > > it, so I kind of assumed most OI users did. I see that assumption was > > wrong. > > > > openindiana-discuss mailing list > > [email protected] > > https://openindiana.org/mailman/listinfo/openindiana-discuss > > Hello! > > These BootEinvironments are very handy when you get into trouble after > some crude pkg fiddling. > On Linux installations you are in a mess if something severly happened, > with the BE on OI/Illumos and FreeBSD now (i think) > you just choose the previous BE and destroy the corrupted one later - > easy-peasy. > > It would allow selectable installations of OI with different package > selections on one root pool > > - if you think you need to and take care and set the BE names when doing > something with pkg. > > I love it. > > :-) > > Stephan > > > openindiana-discuss mailing list > [email protected] > https://openindiana.org/mailman/listinfo/openindiana-discuss Yeah. I know this feature is handy. But this also means running OpenIndiana is more costly than Linux on the same hardware, especially if it's a VM. _______________________________________________ openindiana-discuss mailing list [email protected] https://openindiana.org/mailman/listinfo/openindiana-discuss
