On Wednesday, October 09, 2013 03:01 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) wrote:
From: Saso Kiselkov [mailto:[email protected]]

I find, with the motherboard built-in sas controller, you usually need to
power off in order to swap a drive, and you need to "devfsadm -Cv" after
coming up, in order to make the new drive available.

What kind of a messed up SAS controller would that be? I've yet to see
this happen to me with any on-board SAS controller (in fact, all
on-board SAS controllers that I've encountered so far were LSI chips,
just placed on the motherboard instead on a plug-in board).
The on-board SAS controller isn't externally facing, and not expecting hotswap 
drives.  Drive detection is performed by BIOS during POST.  Dell optiplex, 
precision, and poweredge.  I have all 3 sitting in my basement right now, with 
SATA cables dangling out the chassis through holes I cut, in order to attach 
removable disks externally.  It all works but I have to power off the host 
while connecting/disconnecting drives.

The poweredge server also has an HBA (basic SAS) with hotswappable drives on 
the front.  These do not require any poweroff to swap the drives, as the name 
suggests.

Er...isn't hotswap capability PART of the specs whether the drives are SAS or SATA? I can do this on a cheap desktop motherboard but you cannot on a server board with getting a HBA?

_______________________________________________
OpenIndiana-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
http://openindiana.org/mailman/listinfo/openindiana-discuss

Reply via email to