I am sure it has great value, why would it be there otherwise?. I just remember installing a fresh version solaris one day and trying to figure out why I couldn't just delete export and use /home like always.

Therefore, in my mind I associate it with being frustrated by a "I am sorry Dave, I can't allow you to do that" message until I figured out what had changed.

On 08/ 6/12 09:47 AM, James Carlson wrote:
Daniel Kjar wrote:
Really?  What do you call that crap in etc under auto_master and auto_home?
Read the man pages for the automounter.  Start with automount(1M).

Yes, the system comes by default with that "crap," but (a) you certainly
are under no obligation to use /export/home if you don't like it and (b)
the mechanism that underlies it is far more general than just auto_home.
  It allows you to trigger configured mounts based on file system access,
and handles fail-over, platform-related variable expansion, and
directory service integration.


--
Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
        -E. O. Wilson





_______________________________________________
OpenIndiana-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
http://openindiana.org/mailman/listinfo/openindiana-discuss

Reply via email to