Today's afternoon had too much sunshine to stay inside, so I headed north
and east of Riverhead to check for goose flocks - would you believe I
didn't see a single goose in my travels today...both in the air or on the
ground ! On Doctor's Path, n/o Reeve's Ave, I came upon a flock of ~ 20
Horned Larks feeding along the side of the road. After checking for
longspurs, pipits and sparrows after each time a vehicle went by causing
the birds to disperse* and then return to their "sweet spot", I moved on
with my spirit on the rise !

Heading east, I happen to notice what looked like a mound of snow atop a ~
30 ft conifer, with no other snow on the rest of the tree - unfortunately,
a bell didn't go off ! About 15 minutes later it did, and of course, when I
hightailed it back, the "snow" was gone...with no evidence of its remains
on the rest of the tree nor on the ground around it ! I believe I saw the
back of a large white bird's head and shoulders, and after discounting
Gyrfalcon, I believe the bird was a Snowy Owl ! Per Mary Laura Lamont, this
species spent part of the winter 2 years ago in this general farm
area. This is the only time I have ever thought I had a Snowy Owl at the
top of a tall tree, so please feel free to contact me offline to let me
know of your experiences.

Mary has had a C.Redpoll at her feeders on & off for a month now, but it
wasn't there for me this afternoon ! As a consolation prize, I did get 1 of
the 2 Brown Creepers that have been responding to the peanut butter/suet
she has been pressing into cracks in the sides of a stump in her backyard !

Thanks,
Bob

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to