Alan, Thanks so much for sharing your observations of birding locally. Your comments embody what I feel is the essence of atlasing. It brings joy to really get to know your local birds and I too have felt pride in successful nesting attempts. Yours is a wonderful message to appreciate what you have right outside your door.
I would be interested to hear if others have experienced something similar. I could make a collection of stories and share them in the next atlas newsletter and on social media. Happy local birding, Julie -- Julie Hart New York Breeding Bird Atlas III, Project Coordinator PARTICIPATE Website <https://protect2.fireeye.com/url?k=c8d6c650-94f0fe6e-c8d43f65-000babda0031-6934d6a512b40f2c&q=1&u=https%3A%2F%2Febird.org%2Fatlasny%2Fabout> | Newsletter <https://mailchi.mp/a6c58a33437d/nybbaiiisignup> FOLLOW Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/nybba3/> | Instagram <https://www.instagram.com/nybbaiii/> | Twitter <https://twitter.com/nybbaiii> SUPPORT Store <https://www.zazzle.com/store/nybbaiii> | Donate <https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=tPYqacOnC6V6g_icb8rE7VF0NeOxZDhVbMUR_iOE_dpykMM7-RvqmRTpwtn6zUzgqbGhh0&country.x=US&locale.x=US> > On May 26, 2020, at 22:58, Alan Drogin <[email protected]> wrote: > > This pandemic has forced me into birding the same mile of Riverside Park > south of 96th Street, just down the block from where I live, almost every day > for over two months now. Unable to chase birds throughout the hot spots of > New York State this season, the fortunate timing during peak Spring migration > at least has provided me with plenty of FOY pleasures. Nevertheless, this > routine has shown me that not all nature just passes through affording > thrilling chance encounters, but that there is a natural “neighborhood" just > outside my door which changes slowly with the seasons. Fortunately, > Springtime is when the male birds must stake out a territory and proclaim > their constant presence through glorious song in order to attract mates. > > It has been my newfound pleasure to recognize the singing 7+ days of > individual Towhees, Cardinals, House Finches, and finally the Catbirds in > their respective “blocks” (there are just too many House Sparrows, Pigeons, > Robins, and Starlings to keep track of). This has been a chance to watch the > gradual cessation of White-throated Sparrows, the aggressive courtship of > House Sparrows, Robins giving chase, Starlings gathering nest material, and > now the constant high-pitched pleas for food from the gaping yellow mouths of > awkward fledgelings. > > I now identify exactly three male Northern Flickers who alert each other with > their steady staccato calls of their “turf” across from 82nd, 84th, and 91st > streets. A pair of Downy Woodpeckers whinny in the middle at 86th. I’ve > found two of the Flickers clearing out respective tree holes in Hippo > Playground and just south of River Run Playground. Last week I saw a female > sticking her head. > > Since my first walk I have expected every day the loud “teakettle, teakettle > teakettle” of the Carolina Wren just north of Hippo Playground. Last > Wednesday I saw the wren on a tree stump by the high stone wall, but heard > the song from a few yards away - this must be the female mate. But then came > a plaintive peep a few yards in the other direction. Then all three swooped > to a scrawny sapling across my path - it was the baby getting fed. Dare I > say a tinge of grandparental pride? > > Stay safe birding, > > Alan Drogin > > > > > > > > -- > > NYSbirds-L List Info: > http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm > http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm > http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm > > ARCHIVES: > 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html > 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L > 3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01 > > Please submit your observations to eBird: > http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ > > -- > -- NYSbirds-L List Info: http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm ARCHIVES: 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L 3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01 Please submit your observations to eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ --
