As a follow-up on the Harlequin sighting, this was one of several interesting 
transitional plumage male birds that have been around lately (not surprising, 
given time of year). Idiosyncratic levels of plumage development sometimes can 
pose id challenges (hope I got all mine right), but more to the point it’s 
interesting to note the feathering-out process at various mid-points along the 
line; some individuals can look like entirely different species.

 

I included a few examples (plus a female eider, oops) to liven up Monday 
morning work breaks.

 

Rick Cech

 

https://rbc-pix.smugmug.com/Nature/Nature-Trip/Jones-Beach/ 

 

From: [email protected] 
<[email protected]> On Behalf Of Doug Gochfeld
Sent: Sunday, January 5, 2020 10:06 PM
To: NYSBIRDS-L@cornell edu <[email protected]>
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Brooklyn Bird Spectacle & Recent Rarities

 

Hey all,

 

One of my favorite, and one of the most generally overlooked relative to 
accessibility for birders, winter birding activity in Brooklyn is watching the 
gulls come in to roost at Brooklyn Bridge Park. One could (and I may...) argue 
that this roost has one of the most awesome backdrops of any gull roost in the 
country (with the full acceptance that I don't know the settings of a good 
many), with the lower Manhattan skyline, Brooklyn Bridge, Statue of Liberty, 
and often-gorgeous sunset. Watching 4,000+ gulls fly in around dusk in this 
setting is a one-of-a-kind juxtaposition, and one I never tire of (despite how 
numb my fingers may get in the cold on some evenings).

 

I took the Painted Bunting that Heather Wolf found recently at the park as an 
incentive to get to the gull roost a bit earlier than usual on Thursday, and 
after seeing the greenie (as well as the Field Sparrows and a pile of 
White-throated Sparrows- the habitat at the park is really getting better by 
all the time!), turned my attention to the gulls. While I didn't find any 
unusual species amid the ~4,000 Ring-billed Gulls roosting in the marina 
between Piers 3 & 5, a couple of different visits to the pilings just west of 
Pier 1 turned up first an adult BLACK-HEADED GULL, and then later, when it was 
positively nighttime, a juvenile ICELAND GULL. One of the great things about 
this roost is that you can continue to observe and scrutinize the birds well 
past dusk--while the light does get progressively worse past dusk, it never 
gets un-birdable. It's a very fun experience that I recommend for those who 
haven't seen it. If you find yourself chasing the Painted Bunting in the 
afternoon this winter, stick around to dusk and watch the gulls stream in!

 

On a different note, after twitching the HARLEQUIN DUCK found in Sheepshead Bay 
by Daisy Lane Paul this morning, I hung around for a while (in another 
oft-overlooked place, given how many birds concentrate here in winter), and a 
very crisp-looking, and cooperative, juvenile ICELAND GULL appeared, and 
delighted the folks who were still lingering and those arriving to see the 
duck. 

As for said duck: Despite being an annual winter visitor to various jetties and 
breakwaters of the southern shore of Long Island, it is very rarely observed in 
Brooklyn. This is only the 4th record in the county in the last 20+ years, as 
far as I am aware.

 

eBird checklist with a couple of context photos of the BBP gull roost:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S62934732

 

eBird list from Daisy's duck at Sheepshead today:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S63051166

 

Good Urban Birding!

-Doug Gochfeld. Brooklyn, NY.

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm> Welcome and Basics 

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm> Rules and Information 

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm> 
Subscribe, Configuration and Leave

Archives:

The Mail Archive 
<http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html> 

 <http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L> Surfbirds

 <http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01> ABA

Please submit your observations to  <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/> eBird!

--


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to