All, I found a juvenile BAIRD'S SANDPIPER while walking the gravel bars on the Susquehanna River between Vestal and Endwell NY this morning. The bird was at the west most gravel bar visible from the guard rail RIver Rd Endwell, NY (e-bird hotspot). The exact location is here https://goo.gl/maps/5re1cMdp4ABHAs2eA
E-Bird List is here with photos: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59684603 I was on the Murphy's Pits side (another e-bird hotspot). This small area has been a magnet for many rare shorebirds in Broome Co over the years. This is the second time we have had BAIRD'S SANDPIPER here (last time I believe was 3-4 years ago). We also have had WILSON'S and RED-NECKED PHALAROPES, STILT SANDPIPER,(spring and fall) BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER, and WILLET to my recollection. I walked at least a 1/2 mile of gravel bar this morning and this spot was the only area where there were a good diversity of shorebirds and of course the Baird's. I wonder why this is such a good spot? It is easily viewed from the guard rail River Rd Endwell, NY which is convenient. Best, Dave Nicosia -- NYSbirds-L List Info: http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm ARCHIVES: 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L 3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01 Please submit your observations to eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ --
