Just for the record, I spent yesterday morning in Forest Park, Queens, from
about 10:30 to 12:30. It was dead. Dead, dead, dead. I stayed in the
vicinity of the water hole. Beyond question the worst birding trip I've ever
had to Forest Park, and I've been going there in the spring since 1981 (with a
few missed years).
I did not see or hear a single warbler. Nada. Zilch. There were also very
few other birders. One birder said he saw a Prairie Warbler at the water hole.
Other than Robin and Grackle, there were no migrants.
Bob LewisSleepy Hollow NY
On Monday, April 22, 2019, 6:32:46 AM EDT, Thomas Fiore
<[email protected]> wrote:
So as not to have this be only in response to the post by Patricia Lindsay, on
the events of a “slingshot" migrant event, or what I’ll call a
migrant-overshoot event, or set of events, spanning several recent days, &
culminating (maybe) in one truly-rare-for-New England species…as noted and
linked-to below, I am placing some further reports from Manhattan into the
record here, which may or may not have been widely noted.
The following warbler species were noted on Manhattan island &/or on the
adjacent isles of New York County (of which Manhattan is the largest parcel) on
Sunday, 4/21:
Nashville Warbler, Northern Parula, Yellow Warbler, Yellow-rumped [Myrtle]
Warbler, Pine Warbler, Prairie Warbler, Palm Warbler, Black-and-white Warbler,
American Redstart, Ovenbird, Northern Waterthrush, Louisiana Waterthrush,
Common Yellowthroat, and Hooded Warbler. Of these, at least 8 species were
seen in the multiple; also those 8 species were further seen rather widely in
multiple states & locations to the north of N.Y. City (& some quite a lot
farther north). The earliest of the preceding in terms of typical or expected
arrival dates in spring are Nashville and American Redstart, although in recent
years each of these has turned up at least as early. Two less-birded parks
I’ve been checking in northern Manhattan lately include Highbridge Park, and
St. Nicholas Park; the larger but more divvied-up of these being the former, &
St. Nicholas Park having less overall obvious habitat for migrants;
nonetheless, it does receive some! There are any number of smaller parks &
greenspaces in the northern half of Manhattan island that see migrants drop in,
of course the more so on strongest passages where there’s a good general
drop-in of birds. These 2 noted parks can sometimes hold an advantage of
looking into canopy trees with their steep slopes each of which face east.
Other parks in parts of Manhattan have this potential. --
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--