It must be at least ten years ago that Doug Futuyma (I think), Peter Scully
(I think) and I first found what must be the same individual on the
Smithtown Christmas Bird Count. My earliest record in e-bird was from 27
Dec 2008, but I have only submitted but small fraction of my records to
e-bird, so I am not sure that was the earliest date. When first found, the
bird was already in adult plumage, so if my assumption is correct, this
individual is at least 12 years old. Mt memory also says we first found it
in nearby Flax Pond.

Hugh

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 10:53 AM Michael Schrimpf <
[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This morning I found a Black-headed Gull on Conscience Bay, in Old Field
> (Setauket). It's a non-breeding adult, and was sticking close to the west
> side of the bay, occasionally flying among the groups of ducks. I was
> observing from my yard, and unfortunately there isn't anywhere for the
> public to park along that part of Old Field Road, though you can park at
> Kaltenborn Commons (here
> <https://www.google.com/maps/place/40%C2%B057'04.5%22N+73%C2%B007'35.7%22W/@40.951244,-73.1271345,159m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d40.951243!4d-73.126586>)
> and walk north along the road. The bay is visible at several points from
> the road. Given that the bird seemed willing to move around, it might be
> worth keeping an eye on Old Field Point and Frank Melville Park, if it
> can't be found on the bay. I wonder if this might be one of the same birds
> that was found along that stretch of the North Shore last winter as well...?
>
> Here is my eBird checklist, with fairly distant photo of the bird:
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50049343
>
> The remnants of the Bobwhite flock that I had reported on eBird several
> times earlier in the summer was there as well, pretending to be rocks :-)
>
> Michael Schrimpf
> Suffolk County
> --
> *NYSbirds-L List Info:*
> Welcome and Basics <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm>
> Rules and Information <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm>
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
> *Archives:*
> The Mail Archive
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html>
> Surfbirds <http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L>
> ABA <http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01>
> *Please submit your observations to **eBird*
> <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>*!*
> --
>


-- 
Hugh McGuinness
Washington, D.C.

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to