This early afternoon, after losing at our Condo's weekly Horseshoe
Tournament, I decided to go birding and change my luck ! "The Golden
Trapezium" was barren, but the sod field on the s/s of Sound Ave between
Doctor's Path & Roanoke in Riverhead had shorebirds, albeit, less than on
8/23. There were 23 large plovers that I took to be Black-bellied, and 6
Killdeers. I then hit all the other sod farms heading west to Wading River,
with the same results.

Driving through the Grumman Grasslands, on my way to Yaphank, was equally
as unproductive. I did not find any shorebirds on the Yaphank Road sod
field, but am fairly sure I had 2 C.Ravens, including one I flushed while
drinking water from a puddle in the field.

I then went further east to the E.Moriches sod fields. Birding from the
road (Route 51) I had 13 large plovers, probably all Black-bellies, except
for one, an A.Golden Plover still in almost full breeding plumage. When I
changed positions to see the back of the fields, I found Keith Cashman
counting birds. He had counted 56 Black-bellied Plovers, and 2 A.Golden
Plovers, near full breeding plumage, as well Killdeers and Semipalmated
Plovers. We then checked the sod field just to the west of Route 51 and
just north of Route 27, without success.

Cheers,
Bob

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to