It's that time of year when the great flock descends upon my neighborhood in
Queens. When I was driving back to the house, the Common Grackle flock was
conveniently around the 76th Ave. parking lot in Alley Pond Park. So why not
look them over just in case there might be something with a yellow head
mixed in? No such look of course, but I did come across a leucistic one at
the edge of the flock, where I could get pictures. I can't help but wonder
if it's the same one that I saw while doing the local CBC a few years ago. I
never did photograph that one, as the weather was darker that day than
today, so I hadn't even taken a camera out. But now I do have pictures of a
leucistic Common Grackle. If you're interested in seeing what that looks
like (leucistic birds are interesting to some - there's even an article in
the last Birding magazine), I posted a picture at my web site
http://stevewalternature.com/ (click the Birds tab, then Recent Work). 

 

Since it's not a count day, I didn't make an effort to do that. 3000 is
often the estimate I go with. And believe it or not, they're not an
automatic for the count. They roam around, usually all together, and not
necessarily in covered habitats. But for today, they were quite a sight
spread across the relatively undisturbed ball fields. In the process of
taking that in, I came across a group of 7 American Pipits. Pipits here are
not unprecedented, but it's still cool to see grassland birds touching down
in a suburban neighborhood. Also present were about 25 Chipping Sparrows.
They do nest here. Since I don't often bird on the ball fields, I don't know
if these are migrants or they have been here all along. I bring this up
because it's been such a terrible sparrow migration so far. A big question
in my mind is whether it's been the wind patterns affecting the visible
migration or they are just late this year. 

 

 

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to