Hi Rob and all,

There are definitely strong contrasts in Barred Owl habitat preference between 
the Southeast and the Northeast. The most striking one to me is their absence 
from coastal woodlands on Long Island (even long before suburbanization), in 
contrast to their abundance in similar settings to the south.

In general, I would say that Barred Owls tend to be more localized, within 
special habitats, in the Northeast, compared to their ubiquity in parts of the 
South, and that some of the special forest types they prefer up here (hemlock 
ravines, red maple swamps, boreal bogs) are not conducive to suburbia. 

That said, and varying definitions of "suburbia" aside, I would say that 
Northeastern Barred Owls are not particularly averse to human density. Where I 
grew up in southern mainland Rhode Island (Washington County) there is a belt 
of swamplands along the northern margin of the terminal moraine. This area is 
suburban by most definitions but definitely hosts good numbers of breeding 
Barred Owls.

I suspect that similar situations exist in mainland NY.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore
________________________________________
From: [email protected] 
[[email protected]] on behalf of Rob Bierregaard 
[[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 9:36 AM
To: & [NYSBIRDS]
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Barred Owls

Does anyone know of Barred Owls nesting in NY in suburban habitats? This is 
very common in the SE, but I sense is rare up north. I’m writing a chapter for 
a book on raptors in urban and suburban habitats and would appreciate any 
information on the subject.

Happy holidays,

Rob Bierregaard

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES.htm
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to