This morning my drive to the supermarket in Riverhead was made more palatable by spotting a single Turkey Vulture circling overhead...could it have been "Lonesome George", the solitary T.V. that has been reported from this area of eastern L.I. for the past couple of years ?
This afternoon. I headed up to Calverton for my annual (last 30 years at least) cutting of our Christmas Tree. Near the intersection of Route 25 & Fresh Pond Rd., I noticed a large hawk hovering, and after avoiding causing an accident as I stopped/pulled over, I not only brought my binoculars up to see a light-morph Rough-legged Hawk, but a Red-tailed Hawk, which entered my binocular field, as well ! After those sightings, I knew I was not going to have any problem picking out a tree which would make my wife happy ! On the way home I had another Red-tail, and also made a stop at the Buffalo Farm, at the intersection of Reeves Ave & Roanoke Ave, Riverhead...where I had a "life sighting" for the fenced-off, feeding corral proper ! It goes without saying that I have seen Canada Geese in every field surrounding the corral (approximately 125' x 250') but I can't remember ever seeing a single *Branta canadensis* inside it, no less the ~ 70 there today. While only 1 buffalo was within the fencing at the time, there have been numerous prior visits when either none, or just a few of the animals were there, but still no geese...albeit, ducks have been common occurrence.. Cheers, Bob Cheers, Bob -- NYSbirds-L List Info: http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm ARCHIVES: 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L 3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html Please submit your observations to eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ --
