Went to check out the W. 46th Street pocket park between 5th & 6th late
yesterday afternoon.  After the drop down to 11 degrees earlier this week, I
was curious to see how the handful of "non-migrating" migratory birds was
faring.    Although I was only there for 15 minutes, I was able to observe
the following:

 

1 Brown Thrasher (I haven't seen the second one in several weeks, but I
haven't been by very many times and my visits are always short)

1 Gray Catbird (the second continuing bird has always been more secretive,
so it may still be around )

1 Eastern Towhee (continuing)

 

+

Ring-billed Gull (flyover)

White-throated Sparrows

Rock Pigeons

House Sparrows

 

Didn't see the Swamp Sparrow that was there on Monday before the severe
temperature drop.

 

The Catbird was associating with the sparrows on the plaza itself,
scavenging for crumbs, etc., but the Towhee and Thrasher continued to
operate from the thickest bunch of bushes in the bald cypress circle (where
the unfrozen puddle of water remains.)  Each frequently flew out to forage
around the circle, but returned to the bush every few minutes.

 

Also, I learned from security employee that there is a sub-station under the
park that "warms" the pavement to melt snow and alleviate the need for
shoveling, etc..  I don't know if the presence of the sub-station provides
warmth at other times, but it might be worth considering as a contributing
factor to the success of these over-wintering migratory birds, thus far.

 

Anyway, always a nice respite from the office grind.

 

A nice weekend to all.

 

 

Amy Simmons

NYC

 

 

 

 

 


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to