HI all,

Type 3s are on the move eastward and I suspect some are type 3 for sure. I did 
just received a Paul Smith's recording that sounded like type 1 or 2, but I 
have to take a closer look in the studio.

As for pair formation with different crossed bills, nothing noting this has 
ever been found in Red Crossbills, however, Red Crossbill populations are 
generally in a 1:1 ratio with directionality of bill crossing and whereas with 
WW Crossbill it's 3:1 right to left I believe. The difference in directionality 
has to do with WW Crossbill being primarily a spruce specialist and Red 
Crossbill being more of a generalist comparatively speaking.

cheers,
Matt



________________________________
From: [email protected] 
<[email protected]> on behalf of Joan Collins 
<[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2015 6:19 PM
To: NYSBIRDS-L; [email protected]
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Bohemian Waxwings/Evening Grosbeaks/Red Crossbills, and 
more


Red Crossbills are widespread from Long Lake to Minerva (northern Hamilton Co. 
to western Essex Co.).  David Buckley and I also found many in Santa Clara 
(Franklin Co.) near the St. Regis River several days ago.  Pine Siskins 
continue to be everywhere.  Purple Finches and Amer. Goldfinches are still here 
– unusual since both species usually leave the central Adirondacks by now.  
Blue Jays are also still around (unusual).  I’ve heard White-winged Crossbills 
only twice during the past few weeks – both times fly-over birds.  I’ve had 
several Evening Grosbeak sightings – including a huge flock near the 
Newcomb/Minerva town line.  Still no snow cover (our house is at 2,000’).  
There was a major movement of Canada Geese today.  Most lakes are still wide 
open and Amer. Black Ducks and Hooded Mergansers are still being observed.



Gray Jays: I continue to find large numbers.  I suspect this species is 
experiencing a likely short-term advantage in much warmer late winter/early 
springs (when they nest).  Instead of seeing one or two juveniles, I often see 
three or four now.  I mention “short-term” since climate change will likely 
have a negative impact on boreal habitat over time.  I recently found 14 Gray 
Jays driving along the dirt road at the Spring Pond Bog complex – and 11 along 
Sabattis Circle Road (and there are many other locations for this species along 
trails in that area), plus locations along Route 30 in Long Lake.  I am also 
regularly finding this species in new areas in Newcomb-Minerva.  From just my 
personal experience, I am seeing a lot more Gray Jays.



Red Crossbills:  I was showing my husband some of my Red Crossbill photos and 
pointing out how some of the upper mandibles cross to the right and equal 
numbers cross to the left. He asked if pairs form based on having differently 
crossed bills – which is a great question!  I looked back over years of 
photographs and all the pairs appear to have differently crossed bills except 
for one pair – I can’t be absolutely sure from the photos, but it appears their 
bills cross in the same direction.  So this question is my new obsession!  I 
photographed a pair at Sabattis Bog on 12/12, but the photos weren’t good 
enough to tell bill cross direction.  A recent pair photographed in Minerva 
showed differently crossed bills.  There is nothing in the BNA on this possible 
factor in pair formation.  I recently read that the crossed bill allows a bird 
to access half a cone’s seeds, so pairs with differently crossed bills may 
offer a feeding advantage.  I would love to hear from other birders this winter 
if bill direction in Red Crossbill pairs can be observed.



Here are some recent and older sightings:



12/13/15 Sabattis Circle Road, Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)



Black-backed Woodpecker – 3 at Sabattis Bog (Photos of a male and female on my 
Facebook page below)

Gray Jay – at least 6 at Sabattis Bog

Boreal Chickadee – at least 3 at Sabattis Bog

Bohemian Waxwing – 7 at the Little Tupper Lake inlet (over 40 found here on 
12/7) (Photo on Facebook)

Purple Finch

Pine Siskin – many

Amer. Goldfinch

Red Crossbill – heard at the Little Tupper Lake inlet and Sabattis Bog



12/12/15 Long Lake village & Sabattis Circle Road



Sharp-shinned Hawk – flying over Sabattis Bog

Gray Jay – 8 at Sabattis Bog

Red Crossbill – heard flying over a friend’s house in the village of Long Lake 
and a pair found (& badly photographed!) at Sabattis Bog.  Doug Blodgett 
reported he has been seeing them in the trees around his home in Long Lake on 
Rice Road (this is one of their usual winter nesting locations).

Amer. Tree Sparrow – 1 at the Little Tupper Lake inlet



12/11/15 Sabattis Bog & a marsh in Newcomb (near the Minerva town line)



Gray Jay – 4 at Sabattis Bog



At the marsh in Newcomb:



Boreal Chickadee – at least 3

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill – heard flying over

Pine Siskin - many

Amer. Goldfinch

Evening Grosbeak ~ 50 - A huge, loud flock! (at the marsh)  This is the largest 
flock I’ve observed in a very long time (years).



12/10/15 Sabattis Circle Road



Hooded Merganser – 2

Gray Jay – 4

Black-backed Woodpecker – female at Sabattis Bog



12/9/15 Route 30 and Sabattis Circle Road in Long Lake



Hooded Merganser

Ruffed Grouse

Gray Jay – 9 (1 along Route 30 and 8 at Sabattis Bog)



12/8/15 Keese Mills Road and the southern end of Blue Mountain Road to Quebec 
Brook (Franklin Co.) in the town of Santa Clara



David Buckley (Piercefield) and I had a terrific time birding on this perfectly 
still, but cold day!  We birded Blue Mountain Road and hiked two different 
trails.  We found many Moose tracks!  Here are some of the 20 species found:



Ruffed Grouse – 3

Black-backed Woodpecker – 4 (1 along the road, and then 3 near each other along 
the road)

Pileated Woodpecker

Gray Jay – 2 (two different seemingly solo birds)

Common Raven

Boreal Chickadee – 12 (groups of 4, 1, 3, & 4)

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Purple Finch – many

Red Crossbill – many, particularly near the St. Regis River

Pine Siskin – abundant

Amer. Goldfinch – a few

Evening Grosbeak – 3 males at a feeder location (photo on Facebook)



12/6/15 Raquette Lake in Hamilton Co.



My husband (George Yellott) and I climbed West Mountain from the Brown’s Tract 
Ponds Trail.  It is 12 miles round trip.  We began to encounter snow as we 
started to ascend the peak and there was 2 inches of snow on the summit.  At 
the beginning of the hike, I bushwhacked toward a foraging woodpecker.  A huge 
flock of Pine Siskins flew into trees over my husband as he waited on the 
trail.  Then, a Blue Jay flew over him and started giving a Broad-winged Hawk 
call over and over again!  My husband yelled, “What is that”?!!!  I explained 
that it was a Blue Jay and that it was trying to frighten him away!  About 3 
miles in on the trail, we encountered 3 very curious Boreal Chickadees and I 
was actually able to snap a few photos!  (photo on my Facebook page)



12/5/15 Sabattis Bog & Minerva



Barred Owl – Minerva

Merlin – Boreas River Bridge in Minerva

Gray Jay – 4 Sabattis Bog

Red Crossbill – Boreas River Bridge



12/4/15 Sabattis Circle Road



Gray Jay – 11 (8 at Sabattis Bog and 3 near the Round Lake Road trailhead)



12/2/15 Sabattis Bog



White-winged Crossbill – calling birds flying over



Some November sightings:



11/30/15  Long Lake & Minerva



Gray Jay – 5 at Sabattis Bog

Red Crossbill – at least 5 (3 near the railroad crossing and a pair at the 
Boreas River Bridge – photos on Facebook)



11/28/15 Sabattis Circle Road & Newcomb



Hooded Merganser (Little Tupper Lake, Round Pond inlet, Hudson River)

Black-backed Woodpecker – 1 Newcomb

Gray Jay – 4 Sabattis Bog

Boreal Chickadee – 1 Sabattis Bog

Bohemian Waxwing – 10 in Newcomb

Snow Bunting – 9 along Sabattis Circle Road



11/21/15 Sabattis Bog & St. Lawrence County



Bog: 2 Black-backed Woodpeckers and 4 Gray Jays



(some) St. Lawrence Valley birds:



Amer. Wigeon – 24 Wilson Hill

Amer. Black Duck

Green-winged Teal – 27 Wilson Hill

Bufflehead

Hooded Merganser

Common Merganser

Common Loon – 6

Great Blue Heron – several

Rough-legged Hawk – light morph on May Road in Potsdam – first of the season

Peregrine Falcon – Barnhart Island Bridge in Massena



11/13/15 – a Black Bear was observed in the middle of Sabattis Circle Road!



11/12/15 – Northville-Placid Trail (S) in Long Lake



White-winged Crossbills were heard flying over the trail.



On a 11/9/15 tour with a birder from Long Island, we found 33 species by 
birding in Newcomb-Minerva, Sabattis Bog, and the Spring Pond Bog complex.  
Here are some of the birds found:



Bufflehead

Hooded Merganser

Common Merganser

Ruffed Grouse

Wild Turkey

Bald Eagle – 4 adults (photos on Facebook)

Belted Kingfisher

Black-backed Woodpecker – female in Newcomb

Pileated Woodpecker – several

Gray Jay – 7 (3 at the Newcomb marsh and 4 at Sabattis Bog)

Common Raven

Boreal Chickadee – 7 (3 at the Newcomb marsh, and 4 in the Spring Pond Bog 
complex)

Brown Creeper

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Dark-eyed Junco

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill – Minerva

Pine Siskin – abundant

Amer. Goldfinch

Evening Grosbeak – heard a the Newcomb marsh and near the Roosevelt Truck 
Trail-head



Here are a few recent ROOST (Regional Office of Sustainable Tourism) blogs:



Car-birding boreal habitat from Newcomb to Minerva:



http://www.schroonlakeregion.com/blog/2015/12/boreal-birding-newcomb-minerva

Boreal Birding in Newcomb & Minerva | Schroon Lake, New 
York<http://www.schroonlakeregion.com/blog/2015/12/boreal-birding-newcomb-minerva>
www.schroonlakeregion.com
Our Schroon Lake Region Blogger details a fruitful day of Adirondack birding 
between Newcomb and Minerva.





Birding and biking at Massawepie Mire (and a close encounter with a Snowshoe 
Hare!):



http://www.tupperlake.com/blog/2015/11/biking-boreal-birding-massawepie-mire-beyond



Fall boreal birding at the Spring Pond Bog complex:



http://www.tupperlake.com/blog/2015/11/spring-pond-bog-fall-boreal-birding



Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home

http://www.adirondackavianexpeditions.com/

http://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian















--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
Welcome and Basics<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME>
Rules and Information<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES>
Subscribe, Configuration and 
Leave<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
Archives:
The Mail 
Archive<http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html>
Surfbirds<http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L>
BirdingOnThe.Net<http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html>
Please submit your observations to eBird<http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>!
--

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to