Hi all,

Having seen a hybrid Tufted x scaup on this very pond, we studied this bird 
quite closely.

My impression was that all features appeared consistent with Tufted Duck, and 
none seemed indicative of either scaup species.

In particular, the bird was distinctly small--no larger larger than adjacent 
Lesser Scaup, and obviously smaller than an adjacent Greater Scaup. The rounded 
head shape seemed right for Tufted and wrong fro Lesser (and especially 
Ring-necked). The bill pattern looked good for Tufted to me.

The shape of the pale flanks appeared good for Tufted Duck, and the dark back, 
although not black, was not finely vermiculated, as in Tufted x scaup hybrids 
I've seen. The white undertail is, I gather, a Tufted feature; not sure of its 
prevalence among scaup.

Finally, the tuft seemed longer than on hybrids I've seen, but I'm not familiar 
enough with Tufted plumages to say whether this is an immature or an eclipse 
male.

I dumped a bunch of poor photos at the end of this album, and would appreciate 
feedback from those more familiar than I with these birds:

https://picasaweb.google.com/109808209543611018404/LongIslandMiscellany2015

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore
________________________________________
From: [email protected] 
[[email protected]] on behalf of Michael Zito 
[[email protected]]
Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2015 5:59 PM
To: Jonathan Stocker
Cc: NYSBIRDS-L-for Posts Posts
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Tufted Duck, Lake Capri, West Islip

Any word on if this guy is a hybrid of not?

________________________________
Sixth Annual Celestial Ball Honors Community Leaders and Raises Funds for the 
College’s Greatest Needs. Join Us!<http://www.csi.cuny.edu/celestialball/>

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to