8/22/15 Minerva (Essex Co.)

 

After finding a pair of Red Crossbills on 7/22 in Newcomb, I wanted to go
back to the Newcomb-Minerva area to check for more.  Work and my younger
son's wedding delayed me!  I found at least 7 Red Crossbills in Minerva
yesterday in two different areas (railroad bed and the Roosevelt Truck
Trail).  I arrived in late morning and did not hear any singing (just
calling) - I plan to go over earlier today.  I photographed a male that was
paired with a female (photos of the male on my Facebook page below).  It
looks like it should be an exciting late summer - fall - winter in the
Adirondacks!  I arrived home last night to an email message from Ron
Pittaway (from Canada) asking if I was seeing Red Crossbills!  Ron said that
Algonquin Park usually mirrors the Adirondacks for tree seed crops and
species in winter - and that the Red Crossbills are singing in Algonquin
Park.

 

I'll post more later, but wanted to add that I found a record (for me) 19
Boreal Chickadees yesterday!  (I believe it was actually 23 since I found a
flock on my hike out of the Roosevelt Truck Trail that was not likely any
that I counted on the way in!)  I found 6 (flocks of 3 & 3) along Route 28N
in areas that I usually find them, and 13 (flocks of 4, 4, & 5) along the
Roosevelt Truck Trail.  (I hiked the 5 miles round trip.)  I even managed to
take some bad photos of the chickadees.  The mushrooms were remarkable!
(I'll post more photos on Facebook later.)

 

Joan Collins

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell       

(518) 624-5528 home

http://www.adirondackavianexpeditions.com/ 

http://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian 


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to