Today, after a very late start (~ 4:15 PM) I ventured to the Avalon Woods
East Farms Preserve located in Head of the Harbor, Suffolk Co., in search
of the Kentucky Warbler found by Mathews & Keith Cashman this morning.
Armed with Keith's mention of the Yellow Trail, deep hollow & huge boulder,
combined with Patrice Domeischel's* keen ears (my poor hearing became more
so, due to forgetting to put my hearing aids in today) we heard, but did
not see the bird. Before I arrived, Patrice had heard, what she thought was
the Kentucky, many times, but because she had never seen the species, was
hesitant to call it. She must have pointed out the birds vocalizations at
least a dozen times to me, until it sang loud enough to register on me, ~ 3
to 4 times !

During the approx. 2 hours I spent at Avalon, I had a total of 3 warblers.
The 1st was an A. Redstart, with the 2nd being a male Cerulean. I only had
a "snatch" of the flying bird (just inside the 2nd parking lot on the L/S
of Shep Jones La.) before it disappeared through the tree-line. The blue &
white plumage was emphatic (no yellow), the size was warbler, and it
certainly was not a Tree Swallow, a specie well represented at this
location.

Cheers,
Bob
*Patrice is a board member of the host, Four Harbors Audubon Chapter.

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to