Here's a follow up and more details regarding the Western Tanager in Prospect 
Park.

Just before noon today, Shane Blodgett and I had been slowly making our way 
north along the eastern side of the Vale of Cashmere. The fountain in the 
ornamental pond is broken so only a little bit of water remains at the north 
end where birds come to bathe and drink. At the north-western edge and 
overhanging the pond is a small shrub-like tree adjacent to a flowering 
rhododendron. I noticed what I thought might have been a female Scarlet Tanager 
tucked in at around 11 o'clock in said tree. It was obscured by leaves, so I 
couldn't see the whole bird. When it turned I noticed an eye-ring and 
immediately tried to get Shane on the bird. As it shifted around I then saw 
that it had two obvious wing bars and yellow undertail! Conveniently, it then 
flew across the pond and landed in a shrub at eye level only about 20 feet away 
from us. Shane very calmly said, "It's a Western Tanager" and snapped off a few 
photos. Well, maybe he wasn't exactly calm and it's possible there may have 
been a more colorful expletive before the word "western". Anyway, the bird 
seemed to be eying the muddy puddle below, but was very tentative about flying 
into the pond. It then flew back across the pond and into a hawthorn tree where 
it disappeared for a few moments. When Shane walked over to try and get some 
more photos I spotted it flying back into the original tree where it promptly 
vanished. While Shane and others walked the Rose Garden and paths above the 
Vale of Cashmere I stayed and monitored the water, thinking it would eventually 
come back. After 90 minutes I had to leave, never having relocated the bird.

My possibly overly optimistic thoughts are that the bird is still in the area 
because we never saw it fly up and out of this woodland ringed depression. 
Also, it was very hot by 12:30pm and the activity in this previously birdy spot 
had noticeably slowed. It's interesting to note that in the 1 1/2 hours that I 
watched the pond a really nice mix of birds came and went. In addition to an 
assortment of warblers, I counted oriole, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Indigo 
Bunting, Lincoln's Sparrow and many goldfinches.

Shane will post a note once he uploads his photos of the tanager.

Good birding,

Rob

http://citybirder.blogspot.com
@thecitybirder


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to