Thanks for your thoughtful analysis Angus. I have been birding in Bryant Park
for years, and am myself at a loss for why birds often remain there for so
long. I think it makes sense that it's a migrant trap in the first place given
the dearth of other appropriate habitat nearby. I suspect other similar-sized
parks like Washington Square, Tompkins, and Madison Square have more migrant
activity than generally reported as well. But perhaps less concentrated than
Bryant Park, due to the more widespread backyard gardens and street trees in
those neighborhoods.
I also subscribe to the theory that birds get confused and "trapped" by the
canyon effect and bright lights. Notably, when viewing from the observation
deck on the Empire State Building, Bryant Park is quite visible and shines
green in the flood lights. I imagine birds, exhausted from circling the ESB
lights, might drop into the park to rest. Some seem to thrive and survive
(Ovenbirds have overwintered there) and others don't make it (one of the two
Yellow-breasted Chats there a couple of winters ago was found dead).
I wanted to add that NYC Audubon has trained the maintenance staff of Bryant
Park as part of our Project Safe Flight initiative, which tracks the impact of
buildings and lights on migratory birds
(http://www.nycaudubon.org/project-safe-flight), and they report any dead birds
they find. They patrol and clean the park constantly, and I'm sure they'd find
the body of the Chuck-will's-widow, were it to expire, before any scavengers
did. But let's hope it finds some snacks and moves on soon, before it comes to
that.
If anyone finds any dead birds around the city, please report them directly via
NYC Audubon's D-Bird database: http://d-bird.org/
Cheers,
Gabriel WillowNYC Audubon
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 12:53 PM, Angus Wilson
<[email protected]> wrote:
I wonder if any late night visitors to Bryant Park (New York Co.) have seen
the bird feeding or at least taking flight from its daytime roost? Evidently it
has moved its roost site each day but on Monday the bird remained in situ well
after sunset which was surprising. For those who haven't visited at night, the
park is brightly illuminated at night, including a set of very bright
floodlights positioned on skyscraper over looking the park. This is due west of
the roosting sites being used by the Chuck. Indeed, I actually found it easier
to see details on the bird AFTER the sky had gone dark because of these very
bright lights shining down from above.
The park for those who don't know it is quite tiny and developed, yet in past
few years of close observation has retained many unusual birds (warblers to
woodcocks) from days or even months and there has been much speculation among
local observers as to why this is. The enclosed canyon effect of the tall,
glass-covered buildings all around and the nighttime illumination might be a
key factor.
Presumably the bird would need to range beyond the park to feed but returnthere
to roost. I have no idea how many suitable insects are flying at this time
with so little leaf activity on the trees. On Monday, I noticed someone showing
the chuck to one of the grounds staff. If birds linger until they expire the
ground staff might come across the carcasses, although I am sure rats and mice
will make short work of any protein source that falls from the heavens.
Angus Wilson
New York City, NY
-- NYSbirds-L List Info: Welcome and Basics Rules and Information Subscribe,
Configuration and Leave Archives: The Mail Archive Surfbirds BirdingOnThe.Net
Please submit your observations to eBird! --
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--