Yesterday (4/3) I went down to check on the Eagle nest.  I saw 3 other
birders in the parking lot with Scopes.  With one eagle on the nest I spent
a bit of time trying to find the other one, scanning trees and looking at
far off gulls soaring.  After a bit I found the "adult" - it was perched on
a stick way out on the marsh.  I suspect it was trying to stay low to avoid
the steady winds.

A few observations are in my blog related to interactions with the Eagle
and other species on the marsh as well as an Osprey.  I have heard the
chicks are on schedule to hatch in the next 2-3 weeks, though I'm not too
confident given the lack of success at Wertheim and the fact that this is
the first nesting year for these birds (based on plumage).

Other birds seen were some Great Egrets, lots of corvids and some
mergansers.

A trip to Swan River Preserve (East Patchogue) via my run had a few Gadwall
in the pond.  The Town Parks Department has also put up 4 interpretive
signs explaining the history of the site, the drainage system, the marsh
plants and other details.

Photos from yesterday's trip can be seen here:
http://birdsoflongisland.blogspot.com/2015/04/cold-and-wet-observation-nesting-eagles.html

-- 
- Luke

www.birdsoflongisland.blogspot.com

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to